S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Afternoon post

Thursday 10 October 2019

Our second post for the day.

As I thumb this part of the post it is daylight. The rain hasn't begun yet but it's supposed to soon. Funny, but when you're sailing everything seems more extreme in the dark. The wind is stronger, the waves are higher, your boat is rolling more, the temperature is colder......daylight changes that, plus it gives you a better chance to look around.

I must say that I am impressed with this harbour. Multiple mooring fields, owned and managed by numerous separate entities and not one of them failed overnight. Also there are several boats that came in and anchored just outside these mooring fields and not one of them has appeared to have dragged. They didn't budge! The boats on moorings next to us seem to be more modern fin keel yachts and keep tacking back and forth across the pennants. So do we but to a much lesser extent. Their movement when seen from aboard Nelleke in the salon makes it appear that one of us is moving when of course they are not.

Barb has found on the launch service Facebook page that due to high winds they have suspended service until Saturday and I have looked up the most recent weather forecast which shows conditions will continue to deteriorate until Friday near noon. We are looking for more settled conditions by Saturday morning. Hopefully we will get that. I was looking at the weather maps this morning and the low that is causing all this is just sitting off the coast not moving anywhere. Currently the clever minds are thinking that it will die out rather than shift its wonderfulness elsewhere. Good thing we made even a short trip into town yesterday.

According to current forecasts if we depart Saturday at 08h00 we should be in Port Washington by noon the next day traveling in decent conditions. Then we get to have another wait to continue. We will have to see as the time approaches. The weather these days and for this time of year is so damn changeable.

At 10h00 we listened to the VHF marine weather and heard that they anticipate things to begin to settle late this evening into tomorrow AM. I sure hope so! We will still hang around until Saturday to let the sea settle as the abatement only applies to the waters inside Block Island and Long Island.

Now it's after lunch. Barb is really superb in making up meals when we are alongside or stopped somewhere that we can have along the way. She has achieved roaring successes with everything from soups to coffee cakes. I, on the other hand, am reduced to plumbing, electrical and splicing work. Today I got the ship's computer operational again, hooked up speakers to said computer, and confirmed that the macerator pump was functioning as it should. I'm rather glad we do have chores to do. I'd be seriously bored otherwise. I am particularly glad to have the home entertainment working again so we can listen to our CDs.

The inches of rain that had been forecast were not forthcoming so we still haven't tested the filling of the tanks.

Sigh.

Barb had downloaded a series of audio books which we are enjoying. I particularly enjoy the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael. If you aren't familiar with those books the are about a knight from the crusades who had become a Benedictine monk living as an apothecary in Shrewsbury in early England. He solves crimes using his knowledge of herbology. It makes for really great stories. The audio books are narrated by Dereck Jacobi who played Cadfael in the TV series.

An early night again. Not much else to do in the dark since we can’t go into town.

Comments