S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

The day at Cape May

Tuesday 22 October 2019
This is the real post for today.

After a refreshing nap we got up and spent a little time to straighten out the cabins. We are having a visitor this evening, after all. Estelle has accepted our invitation for cocktails and dinner.

Courlevent and Nelleke are both leaving here tomorrow morning in our case to catch the falling tide so we can clear the two 55' bridges that we have to go under to get to the Delaware. In her case to get a good start on her offshore sail to Norfolk. She seems to be sailing in company with another single handed sailor from Les Isles des Magdalenes. The photo accompanying today's post has their two boats in the right of the background.

This is the first time during our several visits to Cape May that I have noticed that by far the vast majority of boats in here are power boats of various shapes and sizes. In fact, the only sailboats that I can see are the ones here at anchor. Different.
I read a post that someone made to Active Captain about how they, sailors, were treated at one of the marinas. Told their business wasn't required etc. That hasn't been our experience here, but still, no one here seems to have sailboats except one marina Utech which also happens to be the cheapest in the area.

Our dinner was a bit late getting started as everyone cruising seems to loose track of the time but I guess that’s one of the earmarks of the life style. Barb did Nelleke proud once again with a great curry. That is one mean that can always be adapted in order to add one more place at the table. That place turned out to be a fellow called Alexis who, as I have already stated, hails from the Maggies back home in Atlantic Canada. Very nice fellow

Today was slow and quite pleasant. It does surprise me about some boaters. The channel is pretty obvious with large clearly marked day-markers and anyone in their right mind knows that you should anchor outside the channel. Well, there was one boat that wasn't just encroaching into the channel. Oh no! He was smack dab in the middle! The CG came along and told him to move and he did, perhaps ten feet! Oh well, people like that make the rest of us look good.

There is also a boat here from Australia with an Australian Blue Ensign but has a kangaroo in boxing gloves superimposed over the stars. Never seen anything like that before. I wonder if that's common back down under. I know that I put say a beaver or a moose or, heaven forbid, crossed hockey sticks over the Canadian flag someone would have something to say about it and if someone else did it I would be at the head of the line for the sayers.

And speaking of different. There is a nice looking boat here from the US west coast that doesn't fly a national pennant but in place of the courtesy flag it flys the USMC colours. Definitely different.

Comments