S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

North River Lutz Creek near Coinjock NC

Friday 1 November 2019
Well, we are still here although it wasn't easy getting back to sleep after all that. If you look at the earlier blog photo you will see that it clearly tells you to "take shelter now". Truly a calming turn of phrase. Where exactly would transient boaters take shelter from a tornado especially at midnight when any possible shelter in the immediate vicinity is shut and locked? We did what we could, extra lines on the boat, bringing in anything loose that could become a missle, and then going below and close everything up and being very Canadian having a cup of tea. Immediately before us going below and battening down the hatches there was a nearly simultaneous flash bang of lightning, one of the closest we have experienced so today we have to test all our electronics to make sure that there wasn't any damage from induced current electricity.

Now that it's over I am remembering our meteorological courses and one of the things you learn is that immediately preceding a thunderstorm cold front there is often a really warm period and that's what we had yesterday. As it is we are back to long trousers, sweatshirts and warm vests. So much for the southern weather.

Sigh!

We have had another Turney change of mind and decided to set off today after all. We helped Estelle with radio comms through the first couple of bridges and then set off for an anchorage we have selected just past the Coinjock Cut.

You know, sometimes I think that I am a closet powerboater. Especially in this part of our trip. No sailing and we are just pleasantly putting along in the sunshine. The only thing that would make it better is if it was warmer.

Then, I know when we get to Florida and the Bahamas and, hopefully, points further south I revert to form and become a rag guy again when sailing conditions are more favourable.

I am also struck by the changes since we were last through here. I have already posted about the free dock in Great Bridge. That's an example of positive developments. On the other hand the old marina in Pungo Ferry which was always closed and dilapidated is now completely gone except for the pilings from their docks. Transient boaters can tie up to these pilings at their own risk but they can't get ashore. There are no docks! Even if you could there isn't much there but you can see from the fallen down industrial infrastructure in the background that at one time this place was viable.

We picked up another hitchhiker while crossing the sound - the biggest bee or wasp I have ever seen. That's its picture on today's post. You can't tell but it is an inch and a half long! Anyone know what the species is?

Barb spent a good portion of the day in the galley so you interpret from that how benign conditions were. She worked her magic to produce a pot of pasta sauce for future meals and a tray of brownies in her stove top oven. Yummm!

The Coinjock Cut is a spot that will live in infamy for me. That is the spot where the exertion of clearing the docks in a current triggered my very first kidney stone attack. That's an experience not to be missed especially your first when you don't actually know what is happening. From there to Great Bridge I was in agony and our friend Koz was able to get us a berth at the Old Point Comfort Marina at Fort Monroe and I was whisked off to hospital where at some expense I was diagnosed as having passed a stone.

Ouchie in my abdomen and ouchie in my pocketbook.

We are in at the anchorage at Lutz Creek, I think it's called. A great anchorage for winds from the north which they are. There are twelve other boats in here now and I expect that there will be more before and after dark.

Our plan is to overnight here and then continue tomorrow at least as far as the north end of Alligator River Pungo Creek Canal. I think we will be anchoring there because the three hour transit will be a bridge too far to get to the other side before dark but we are going to leave at first light and if we get there before two thirty we will try. Otherwise we will go through the next day.

Comments