S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Oriental

Tuesday 5 November 2019
Remember the 5th of November, of gunpowder, treason and plot!

We were up at 5 o'clock to have a last shire shower at Dowery Creek and breakfast before getting underway at six thirty.

We made great time getting through Hobucken Canal by 1130 and alongside at Whitaker Creek Marina by two o'clock. Pretty good coastwise movement if I do say so myself. This Marina has seen better days with damage from numerous storms that has not been repaired. But, the price is right and it is very close to the West Marine. It is also the site of the 2010 storm that caused $15K damage to Nelleke when she was tied to the dock here. It wasn't the marina's fault, just one of those things.

The single side and radio has been repaired and should be in our daughter's hands today or tomorrow so Barb and I are going to get the necessary shipping address information for her to send it on down to us. That will likely mean a protracted stay here which we have done before and which we quite enjoyed so it won't be a hardship. It will also give us opportunity to get some of the overdue boat chores done.

We walked into town just to check things out and to start our search for a place to have our package sent to and were struck by how down at the heel this town has become. One of the restaurants that we enjoyed had a fire and hasn't rebuilt. The Marina itself was damaged in a past hurricane and hasn't been rebuilt. Generally the place looks sad compared to the way it was four years ago.

We did find Courlevent on the free dock and have been in touch by iMessanger. We have invited her to coffee tomorrow morning.

Short one today. Sorry.

Comments