S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

South Edison River

Friday 22 November 2019
Barb had her own adventure with revolution last evening. We had taken the laundry ashore to get that chore done before departure today, I had returned to the boat briefly for some reason or other, and by the time I got back to the laundry room, a round trip of about 20 minutes, Barb had come out in the lane way to try to get a Wi-Fi signal and had met the odd duck with the little white dogs. He tried to recruit her into his plan to sail to Puerto Rico and the Coup d’état. Needless to say, Barb, while polite, found it necessary to check on the wash very quickly. At least he didn’t invite her to serve as his first mate! I would have had to harumph at him!

Barb also reminded me to give a shout out to Eli’s Table, a really nice restaurant on Meeting Street. Barb sprung for lunch and it wasn’t too expensive and the food was great. Barb had a grilled Black Forest game and Brie cheese on a croissant that was excellent. I had a taste. It is a relatively simple dish that some of the places back home like The Tap Room could easily offer their clientele.

We had to wait for slack tide and for the opening bridge just down the canal which meant we couldn’t leave the dock until around ten o’clock. When we did there was still a bit of current so it was a departure fraught with excitement but, more by good luck than skill, we managed to depart without bumping into any expensive real estate.

The trip through the bridge and just past it had its own level of excitement as just in a particularly narrow portion of the channel a small cruise liner came through the other way. There were five sailboats coming through at the time and we all managed to get over to the side of the channel without running aground and yet still give the ship the necessary clearance. That was the first of two ships we passed during the day. No worries no panic but truth be told there was a small amount. Not on our part of course but there was one of the other boats that actually turned to cross over to the other side and got the five toots whereupon he backed back over to the side that the rest of us were on. A wild moment!

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful except for a couple of skinny places where the Corps of Engineer overlays to our AquaMap application proved invaluable.

We stopped early since we departed late and didn’t want to risk another hour underway and not being able to find an anchorage in the dark to say nothing of actually anchoring in the dark. So here I sit in the cockpit having a tasty beer and finishing off the day’s blog post while waiting to check the set of the anchor. As of four thirty we are the only boat here which is fine with us.

Oh. And the crazy revolutionary? He is still at it. I heard before we left that he had approached a couple of other people on the dock with the same flaky idea. Like I said yesterday. Keep an eye on the news to see if he actually tries something.

Comments