S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Cold morning, beautiful afternoon

Thursday 5 December 2019

Last night was another chilly one. Not long undies in bed at night chilly but cool nonetheless. The butter is not staying soft on the counter overnight yet. I guess we need to get further south still for that to happen.

We walked in to Publix at the same time looking for somewhere that we can buy some more engine oils for Yoki. Difficult, very difficult. All the gas stops sell oil by the quart and not the 15W40 that we need and certainly not by the gallon. We have decided to wait until we have rented the car and can get to the Yanmar dealer where we should be able to get both the oil and filters at the same time.

Then we came back to the marina for Barb to go out with Linda Griffiths and six other ladies from the marina community for the ladies weekly luncheon. The women seem to be much more in touch with doing these things that the guys are, which from a strictly male perspective is rather sad. It would be nice if the guys felt comfortable to go out for lunch together to some place other than a sports bar or a strip joint.

Tonight was the evening of the Stuart Stroll. You buy tickets and get your name in a draw for $25 shopping certificates and go around to all the participating businesses and get your map stamped. Once you have done that you get your name entered in a draw for $100 shopping certificates! Plus, even if you don’t win any draw each store has snacks and something to drink for the participants. I’ll let you know if we win anything.

We have been in touch with Estelle on Courlevent and she fought the wind and carried on past the St Lucie Inlet towards West Palm Beach. Maybe we will catch up with her again somewhere along the line.

Another Canadian showed up in the mooring field right next to us. The name is Kimyala and the come from Vancouver. Haven’t met the crew but perhaps we will be able to if they are hanging around.

Comments