S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

The morning after.....

Sunday 15 December 2019

Well, it didn't rain as much as forecast yesterday, but the temperature did drop to 14 during the night. I know for you folks back in Shelburne that doesn't seem terribly cold but down here seeing as we had put away the sleeping bags it did seem chilly.

The tree lighting ceremony last night was very good indeed. We met the mayor of Stuart and his partner and had a chance to tell them how much we enjoy the city and we suggested to him that they might wish to put in more moorings since this is such a popular place; we met a number more of the boaters in the marina; and we had a really good feed of all the stuff that the marina laid on as their Christmas party. We even found out what the pecking order was amongst the staff and met the owner and his wife; we even met the chief of police resplendent in his uniform and his wife. Clearly the marina has made its mark on the City community as well as the boating one.

This morning, although colder than we anticipated, dawned bright and clear. Hopefully the solar panels will be able to do their thing. We came in for a shower before the market and we're surprised at how few people were in to the dock. I guess the offer of free drinks last night was enough to put some folks out of action. We used to call that a self inflicted wound in the military. Of course the folks on the dock could be simply off to church.

As for us, we are doing boat chores. I have finally gotten around to fixing the cam cleat for the jib roller furling sheet. And Barb has been staging each cabin for photos to send to the boat brokers that we have been discussing selling Nelleke with. That is quite a job as each of the forward cabins have been serving as storage and are cram packed with stuff. For the pictures all that has to come out, the pictures taken, and then crammed back in. Not an easy job and not easy on a relationship either. Yet we or should I say she persevered and got most of it done by mid afternoon.

Then we went to visit a 34' Mainship Trawler that some folks we know have for sale for a very reasonable asking price. It's is smaller than what we were dreaming about but it has two huge advantages: a low asking price and it is already registered in the US so we could leave it here while we go home without getting the US tax people fussed. It's disadvantages are that it is small, at present only sleeps two, we would have to work out some way to have another bed in the place (I already have several ideas) there are carpets on the floor which I would replace with teak and holly like flooring, and it has one of those old gutless SeaWolf anchor windlass which I would want to replace.

Back to Nelleke. We are still struggling with the leaky inflatable valves. Sigh. I guess when we are preparing on Wednesday for our trip to Everglade City and we have the dingy up on deck I will do a much more thorough job of cleaning out the seating.

Meatloaf a al meathead tonight. We are steadily eating our way down to an empty freezer before our departure.

Comments