S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another warm day in Stuart

Thursday 16 January 2020
It turns out that the boat that was coming in to the space on the dock where we are presently may not be coming in until tomorrow so we do have the option of staying another day. However, as we are tired of bleeding money, we will be going out to the mooring field regardless.

Barb did another laundry today before we went out. All the machines were in use but a couple of them had finished, they just had laundry still in them so, according the nearly universal, and definitely marina, laundromat rules, she took the wet laundry out and put it over on one of the dryers. Shortly after she did that the woman whose laundry it was came bustling in and got a real knot in her face when she saw that someone had dared to touch her precious clothes. Barb tried to be nice etc but the woman refused to even acknowledge that she was being spoken to. There is a word for that and it rhymes with punt.

Oh well.

We have been in touch with Sunnybrook Yacht Sales back home. They are the brokerage that sold us Nelleke in the first place and they have agreed to list her for us when we get back. We have sent photos etc.

At eleven o'clock we left the slip, although we could have stayed another day if we wanted to shell out approximately $165Cdn (we didn't). The mooring that I left the boat fender tied to was still free so all my fears about someone coming in and cutting it off and tossing it and then claiming that there was no fender tied to it were for naught. And the dingy seems to be holding air, praise be!

Barb fits in here better than I do. She is off again with the luncheon ladies to enjoy herself. There are times that I think she would have a ball if we did as a number of other people do here, bring their boat down and tie up to the dock for the winter and have it as their winter cottage in the sunny south. But when I broach that idea to her she says, nope, she'd rather take the money and have a couple of winter trips to Europe or the UK. I have to admit, that idea has its appeal. Even to me. For the money we have bled out so far on this trip we could have had another river cruise down the Danube or up the Nile or some place like that.

We took another walk downtown by way of the boardwalk just to catch some rays and let Barb do some more shopping before we head out next week. One thing we have noticed here in southern Florida was both the number of rescue dogs people who have retired here bring with them and the number we see being wheeled around in strollers! There is a description of the human population of Florida - newly wed or nearly dead, which could be applied to the canine population - newly bred or nearly dead! Bottom line is that it is very nice to see that some dogs who have had a rough life are at least finishing off their mortal existence in the hands of loving humans who are doing their best to make them happy. It's nice to see and clearly the dogs appreciate it.

Tonight we took another dual trip into shore - to shower and get cleaned up and to sit down to another cruiser's happy hour.

Comments