S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Windy day at Lighthouse Point

Friday 17 January 2020

....which is on the other side of the St Lucie River from Stuart.

If you didn't get the message yesterday let me reinforce the fact that I, at least, wouldn't mind one little bit if we were to get our hands on a trawler, say in the 38' range, that we could bring down here and make her a winter dock queen at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. For that size of boat it would be $750/month. We have met several Canadians here who licence their boats in Florida and summer them on the Indiantown marina and they drive down here to marry up with the boat and so they will have a car as well. I can imagine the winters. Barb's argument against that is that like having a cottage you would feel compelled to come here and she would like to go other places as well. I can see that point too. Oh well. Too bad life is so short. Wouldn't it be great to do everything!? Perhaps when we win the lottery?!

This morning we pretty much decided that we will begin to head north on Sunday after the Farm Market. We should easily get to Fort Pierce to anchor in the daylight and perhaps even further depending on where we can get to. We know of a good anchorage at the Wabasso Bridge where we have stopped a couple of times before it just depends on the amount of daylight we have. The following day it would be great to get up to the Titusville/Canaveral area which would stage us well to get to New Smyrna Beach by Tuesday. We hope to visit our friends from Shelburne who have a winter home there before heading onward.

What's the rush you might ask? Well we have our tickets booked for home from Richmond on the 24th of February and we need to get Nelleke prepped for a couple of months on the hard while we are away.

I made another provisioning trip to Publix and Barb visited an Aveda salon to be further shorn in preparation for our departure.

The weather here is continuing with what we have come to expect on this cruise - howling winds! Damn. Can't we get half way decent stuff even heading home? We were thinking of trying to get away on Sunday but now we will be going when we can and scampering as best we can. If we get to Deltaville early we will rent a car and visit friends in Durham NC for a few days.

Right now I am just happy that we are on a good strong mooring. Tomorrow, if it’s our last day here will be memorable as there is a blues concert accompanied by BBQ ribs in the park just down the way a little bit.

Comments