S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Norfolk. At last!

Friday 14 February 2020
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

A slow start to today. We had to wait u til nine to get through the bridge and lock. Since the Centreville Bridge is closed for vehicle traffic, during rush hours the Great Bridge has more opening restrictions so it won't open from seven until nine. As we are close to the end of our trip this was very minor.

We spent part of yesterday looking for a place to stay in Deltaville since after they haul Nelleke it won't be convenient getting on and off particularly at night. We think we may have found a place quite close. It will be very handy plus the weather will be either really cold or will be pouring rain over the next week. Tomorrow will also be a very early start so we will clear Norfolk harbour by the time the sun comes up.

A very short day as we left at nine I lock ad got to the marina at eleven-thirty. Good thing too as I was getting really cold. We were the only transient boat at the dock when we arrived.

Barb had never been ashore in Norfolk beforehand this was a chance for her to see a bit of downtown. It's an interesting city roundup as it is so much in the military. That means there is a ready source of available income to support number of large retail stores. We went to a movie to celebrate Valentine's Day andto the Blue Moon Tap House to have appetizers before dinner on the boat.

The photo on today's post is to demonstrate that even the professionals have off days. We watched them as we motor by and it was clear they were having problems. The smaller shovel was trying to help the larger either get on or off the little barhe with very little success and there were a couple of guys in each vehicle and more aboard the barge ad one or two ashore, all rushing about waving their arms. Glad I'm not the only one!

Comments