S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Visiting Peter and Lynn

Thursday 20 February 2020
Well, we have made the dash north, readied and had Nelleke hauled, and now, we have driven to Durham. We were up early to have a last tub and shower before we toddled up to the cafe which opened at six. Then we were on the road. We had some concerns about snow and ice which had been forecast so we got away earlier than we needed to to try to make most of the trip before the snow actually comes down. As of six this morning they were calling for clear, changing to rain by lunch, to snow by supper time.

Breakfast at the cafe was fascinating. The place seems to be the morning hang out for a group of good ol' boys, with emphasis on the ol'. They took a liking to Barb and it was as if I wasn't even there. Nice fellows. We heard all about who was hunting, who was fishing, whose wife had passed away, who was recently divorced and the all important surgery schedules. Then we were on the road, hoping to miss the snow and the go-to-work traffic around Richmond.

Our trip was not without excitement. I never cease to be amazed that so many of the drivers down here don't seem to understand that the passing lane isn't just a private lane for their personal use. They will sit over there and tool along at the same speed as the other drivers in the right lane and block it for those of us trying to pass. Regardless, we arrived in Durham at 10 o'clock and spent some time in a museum and eating lunch. Then, far earlier than originally planned, we arrived at Peter and Lynn's. How great to see them again, and how flattered we are that they are prepared to put up with our company until the 23rd.

We have had some interesting conversations about the club back home and membership for folks that only live in town for four months out of the year. I also didn't realize that there is a new bar in town affiliated with the local micro brewery that is becoming more and more in competition with the club. I have some ideas and things to raise with the Committee of Management when we get home.

Comments