S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back at Cape Negro Island.....

..... which represents a small change in plans, I’m afraid.

When we departed this morning, the winds were supposed to be 5 kts on the nose until this afternoon when they were supposed to veer about to the north or astern of us. In fact the winds we closer to 15 kts which, when combined with the tidal currents from the Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy, produced some higher than expected and very confused seas. Normally I don’t get seasick and when I do I can just usually talk on the porcelain phone to Ralph and get it over with. Today I was sick, so was Barb and at first we were seriously considering carrying on regardless, but then we noticed that the engine temperature was creeping up. So, we decided that the best course would be to put in to an anchorage that we are very familiar with at a place called Cape Negro Island to let the engine cool down so I could have a look at it.

I thought the belt might have broken or gotten too loose but that wasn’t it. The good news is that the problem was that the raw water filter that the owner just had installed had done its job and had stopped a plastic bag from getting into the engine water manifold.

We are here at anchor now and will be leaving tomorrow morning in the wee small hours to take advantage of the new forecast which is for small winds until later Friday.

Our plan is to get an early night and start off in the small hours tomorrow AM if the weather forecast is what we are seeing now - very light winds.

Comments