S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

"Trapped" for a bit in Provincetown

Perhaps trapped is too strong a word. We have called the marina where we're going to do the work on the boat in Onset and turns out they have no space for us until Thursday. We could go across tomorrow and stay on a mooring but they have no lunch to take us off. That, plus we need to talk to Customs, which means we have to be alongside, pretty much dictates that we have a dock from which to welcome them aboard and where we could draw power to do the work. Although the moorings here are more expensive than we are used to, and there is a tender to take us back-and-forth to shore, plus there is a hardware store here where we have already bought the fibreglass that we need and where tomorrow we are going to try to get a couple simple tools to do the job. We can plan and measure and have everything ready for when we get there so the job will be fast and easy. Since we will be here for another day we have decided to be lazy and stay aboard reading books and slurping beverages. Oddly, Barb has recovered from the Ralph and Huey diet but I still have lingering symptoms. Maybe it's from not eating for almost three days.

Provincetown is a very pleasant place albeit expensive. We looked at the cost of housing and for example, a bachelor beach house was $800K! It is packed with cafes, restaurants, galleries and art studios. As well as a number of really nice looking B&Bs.

There are big signs all over that state firmly "Mandatory Mask Wearing Area" and although there were fewer people about everyone was wearing a mask. Some stores had signs stating "No Mask, No Service". Every store had hand sanitizer sat the door. Nice to see.

There were few political signs around which we though unusual considering it is only a short time until the election and those signs that we did see were small tasteful one supporting Mr Biden. The single large sign that we saw stated "Dump Trump!"

Comments