S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Off to the Solomons

Up this morning to make breakfast, gash the garbage, do the first parade and get ready for the fellow to arrive so we can buy fuel and settle up. Charlie, the owner, is an interesting guy. He bought the place while he was still working as a pilot and just let it sit here falling apart until he was ready to retire. Then he moves here, adds a restaurant, and runs the marina. Still doesn’t look like he puts a whole lot of effort into it. No staff. He responds to the telephone vice the VHF. There doesn’t look like there is a whole lot of maintenance other than mowing the lawn. Still, a very pleasant gent to chat with.

It is different here in Virginia. Back home, I am quite used to looking out in the morning and seeing seagulls sitting on the roof of the buildings along the waterfront or perched on the garbage dumpsters. Down here we were greeted by a flock of vultures doing exactly the same thing. A bit eerie for my tastes.

Charles showed up around eight to turn on the pumps and allow us to settle up. Instead of $1.50/ft he charged us less than $1/ft which was nice of him. We expected a small charge for power but I was startled at a charge for using our credit card. Still, a good deal for the night.

We got underway again around nine o’clock I we were quickly reminded both at how shallow the Chesapeake is and how far out some of the points can extend from the shore.

Today was a day for all sailboats to be motorboats. At least that’s what we saw out on the bay. Flat calm with scarcely a breeze and everyone was moving under power. There weren’t even sails up for show. The closer we go to the Solomons the more boat traffic we came across and the more we heard the thunder from the jet engines at the Air Base across the river. Other than it’s only US vessels, it is looking more like what we have been used to from past cruises. And then, just to add to the excitement, we got to hear a Naval range control boat try to hail boats that were moving into a firing range. Amazing the number of boats that didn’t reply. Either they didn’t feel that they needed to or they didn’t have their radios on. As for us, I would rather not be one an involuntary target of opportunity for Naval gunners. Nope, I’m quite happy to stay clear, thank you.

At four thirty we arrived in the Solomons, our fourth time visiting here, I think. We tied up and reenforced ourselves with a libation or two and relaxed. We have a HUGE laundry bag so we will likely hang out here for another day if they will let us. We can relax, wander about and enjoy the cruising lifestyle.

Comments