S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A long day today.....

....to get to the mouth of the Delaware. Looks like a 72 mile jaunt. Hopefully we will have the current.

Last night we made a bit of a boo-boo and left the battery switch on both. Good fortune smiled and we were able to wake up Yoki regardless. Phew!

On the plus side we totally lucked out with our timings. We rode the current through the canal and got out into the Delaware in time to catch the ebb tidal current almost for the entire day. Except for the last two hours we were bombing along at 7.5-8.5 knots and made the 72 nautical mile trip in ten hours! Happy that.

We have anchored in the lee of the inner breakwater at Cape Henlopen Delaware in calm and comfort. Barb called in to US Customs to report coastwise movement. Interesting that the customs people from state to state don’t agree with each other. The last call she made was in Annapolis where the fellow on the other end said that she needn’t call in any more. Barb is a smart cookie and ignored that and today the log went in as per normal. I don’t understand why they can’t sing from a common song sheet.

On the down side the weather says that there is something bad coming on on Thursday for two to three days so, in the interest of comfort and safety although we had originally planned to head for Block Island tomorrow, a one and a half day trip, we have decided to err on the side of brains and put into Cape May and wait till it blows over. A little expense is worth a pound of comfort and safety.

Comments