S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

After a night in our shore side bed...

.....the room is still rocking!

In spite of some of the trials, the weather, the cold, the odd looks from people who were thinking that we were heading the wrong way, we have been following the news I am really happy that we have managed to get Nelleke out of the US and back home to Canada. What a divided country the USA has become! I have my own feelings about politics and, other than casting my vote, I wouldn't force them on anyone. Except for one thing, the basic tenets of democracy: One person one vote. The will of the majority. Things like that. If you win you accept the win with humble gratitude and if you lose you do so with dignity and grace. Clearly only part of that is what's happening south of the border. It is truly frightening to think of what could happen. I am really happy to be a Canadian.

I will be getting used to a ground based life today not the least of which is hoping for the floor to stop moving. I will also be experimenting a bit with the Raspberry Pi. We borrowed a GPS dongle from our friends Chris and Bill for the trip back and I want to see if we can get our Holux dongle to work in it's place. I also have to load a bunch of software: AIS, wifi extender, etc. Also Barb has been after me to give her a list of things I would like for Christmas and I have quite a few small ticket items for the Pi in mind. Oh, and have to buy her gifts as well.

We still have a lot to do aboard Nelleke to settle her down for the winter: water and waste systems to put antifreeze through, more belongings to bring off, the seats and mattresses to bring home, the dingy and kayak to bring back to the house along with the outboard. But all that will have to wait until our quarantine is over.

We finally got a voicemail from the federal government encouraging us to continue with our self-isolation and congratulating us for already doing one week.

Eight more days of quarantine.

Comments