S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A day at McNutt's

We spent the day at this large island at the mouth of Shelburne Harbour, combining exploration of the island with working at the list of little jobs on the boat. Almost all of those jobs were actually the product of this cruise. That is to say we discovered things that needed to be done while on the mooring.

Speaking of mooring, Ken Taylor and his son Laurance have put a mooring in out here within a stones throw of the Government Wharf. I dove on it to look and the rode down to the actual anchor was about two inches thick. The bridles were new so we were comfortable sleeping in our bunks without constant checking.

I also did my best to scrape out the aft head's output. I was able to clear about 80% of the obstruction and we will do the rest when we are on the hard with acid like vinegar over the winter.

We lubricated the Morse controls on the binnacle, confirmed that the anchor windlass was working and changed the filter in the fresh water system. I think that I may have also found the problem with the RAM mike. Fingers crossed!

We have decided to head home tomorrow in the early AM so we can fill up the fuel tank, and help the club with their final race of the season. Then, Sunday, we will take the day to offload everything we need to while at the dock.

Not much of a cruise but at least we got away from the dock.

Comments