S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Some progress...

....and we arrive in Rockport.

This is a nice place with lots to do ashore. We are on a wall with power for $1/ft plus $10 for power so we are staying here for 2 nights to take advantage of a new place and have some fun ashore. It is on a spot that the locals say is the most photographed, most painted in North America. I don't know if that's true but there have been a steady stream of amateur and professional photographers down to the adjacent dock snapping and painting away so perhaps it is. Rockport Rose, the Harbormaster helped us tie up and couldn't have been nicer. This seems to be a wonderful place. Right now we are looking at a long day on Saturday to try to get to the eastern end of the canal by that night. The following day the weather is forecast to be ugly but we shouldn't care as all we have to do is motor through the canal and get to our old standby Onset where we will wait out the bad weather to continue which should be around Tuesday. Who knows, perhaps tomorrow wee will make good enough time to catch the ebb tide through the canal and we might get to Onset as it is getting dark or even in the early dark. That would be progress indeed.

Our plans for October are getting more firm. Looks like from Onset we will go to Great Salt Pond on Block Island and from there we will go to Cape Henlopen and up the Delaware and though the C&D Canal and down the Chesapeake to Mathews to visit the crew of Plover. After that, who knows? Further progress south, no doubt, but with less of a sense of rush.

Comments