S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Hanging in there

Damn!

I guess we really are condemned to live in interesting times.

Here we are in Virginia, on our boat, waiting out a COVID quarantine, and back home in Nova Scotia everyone is worried about out of control wildfires. There is one not 30 km from where we live that has closed off the main highway, destroyed acres of woodland and several houses, and has a number of communities under evacuation orders. The other in our province is in Halifax Regional Municipality, not too far from where our daughter lives. We were on the telephone with her last night and she was telling us that several homes and some businesses had been destroyed and she was ready and waiting to be told to evacuate; friends of theirs have lost their homes; some folks that we know in Shelburne have been evacuated. Barb and I have been glued to broadcasts from home, listening to the reports about the fires. As of Monday afternoon the two major fires are still out of control in very windy and dry conditions.

So I guess overall we aren't in too bad shape if you look at what other people are having to go through. We did another COVID test this morning and are both still positive although that nasty little red line was a little fainter, if that means anything.

Today I started to try to eliminate the leak under the kitchen sink only to find out that at some point in the past someone (probably me) had glued things in place. Looks like I will need to replace the whole faucet set. Sigh! One thing or another, isn't it?

Second job was another catastrophe. After taking down the ceiling tiles in the aft cabin to get at the wiring for the overhead light it turned out the reason that the light didn't work was that there was no power at all. Then there was the agony of trying to put the tiles back on. Not easy. At some point in the future I will have to trace the power back to the source but not today.

At least I could put the boom vangs in place and tighten the cold water faucet in the forward head. I am good for something. I'm not crying poor me but I will say that one thing about this damn COVID, it does knock the stuffing out of you and make your head feel like its full of cotton wool. I'm sure that there are some unkind souls out there who are saying "So! What's new?"

Regardless, our hosts are being very kind. Barb and I have been worried that they have other visitors that they have promised dock space to and we might be beginning to outstay our welcome but whenever we approach that subject they assure us that we are quite welcome to stay just where we are and should someone else arrive, we will discuss that then. In fact, they are doing a shopping run for us buying not only groceries, and more COVID tests (we were a little surprised to find out that they are not free as they are at home, but we do need them. I shudder to think what would have happened if we assumed my flu symptoms were just that - flu, and we had spread it around)but also a SIM card to put into Barb's cell that will allow her to communicate with US Customs. When Chris and Bill along with their doggie laureate come to Shelburne we will be hard pressed, although we will make every effort, to repay their generosity.

Comments