S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Shore Based Prep

Sometime we forget in the excitement of getting the boat ready, that there is a whole lot of stuff that needs to be tidied up ashore. This is where the Admiral has been more than stepping up to the mark.

Selling the house.

Packing up the furniture and effects.

Closing out bank accounts, electrical service, telephone service, etc., etc., etc.....

.....and tonight we have rented a truck to put the saving stuff into storage. Last night was our last night in bed ashore. Tonight - the bunks aboard!!

All this has been quietly accomplished while I have been doing the boat work. In a way, her being laid off has been a blessing in that she has had the time to do all this. I can't imagine what it would have been like for us if we both had to work at our jobs and then come home and pack, etc., while trying to get the last minute stuff done on the boat.

Eeeks! Don't even want to think about it! Let's change the subject.

Even though there was a fine rain showers last night we were able to get a fair amount done on the cabinet work. The doors to the genset sound box are built, I just need to varnish the oak. I have built a larger replacement table for the cockpit complete with fids. It should allow four to have small plates of dinner on deck and is designed to fold up and store away in the lazarette when not in use. I just need to get some of the hinges and do the varnishing to complete that project.

Still waiting for the replacement masthead unit for the wind instruments and the rebuilt electric motor for the anchor windlass. Hopefully they will be available by early next week.......

Comments