S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

First Post On the Trp

Well. I guess that it's true that no plan survives first contact. In our case, that first contact has been the weather.

Our plan had been to be in Shelburne by Saturday and here we are on Tuesday having arrived running before an almost gale force winds last night and deciding to sit it out her for the day. We had gunkholed up the coast from Friday to Monday in small hops, hanging on for as long as we could until the weather forced us into a shelter. One of our missions for this part of the trip has been to intorduce our pals Pat and Lisa to some spots that they might like to try to visit with their boat NOONAN KNIGHT, so on Friday we went to Sambro harbour. A very short hop but one that we could easily make and still allow for our friend Dave Hickey to finish making a dodger for our companionway. Saturday we had a bouncy and overcast motor sail to McGrath's Cove. This is one of our favourite spots to anchor and we wanted to go there at least once this year. It also gave us a chance to try our my new wiring job on the anchor windlass that will allow us to power the anchor down as well as up. We got an added benifit as Lisa was in the cockpit as we were anchoring and she happened to be watching the forward scanning sonar that we are now carrying. She was able to tell the instant that the anchor was on the botton as it showed up very well on the FLS.

Next day we jumped to Liverpool and stopped off at the Brooklyn Marina. Another strongly recommended place for folks coming up this way. It's really a club that runs completely on volenteers and donations event hough it has all the amenities.

Then yesterday we made the leg to Shelburne. We calculated that it would take about 9 hours to make the trip at 6 knots. We actually took 6 hours so that'll give you an idea of how fast we were traveling. Our knotmeter sat steadily above 7.5 knots and frequently we watched in shock as we sat on 9 knots for 15 or 20 minutes.

When we arrived at the Shelbure club there was no room at the transient docks so they let us stay on the fuel dock as long as no one else came that wanted fuel. As I write this no one has. I guess the weather outside has been so crappy that few are traveling although two boats left here to head on the same path that we are taking, to Barrington Passage, and then to Yarmouth. The difference being that we will head to Digby and then to Grand Manan before crossing to Maine and they will be jumping straight off to the USA.

On the trip so far we have had to make repairs to a sail that got torn in the winds and we will have to replace an ammeter that went NS and messed up the wind generator. Small potatoes, really.

I'll add more when we get to the next WiFi hot spot and post some of the pictures that we have taken so far.

Comments