S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another day in Groton

Still here and I must admit we're not too unhappy about it. First the alternative is to be out in Long Island Sound in 20+ knots of wind in fairly shallow water which would lead to steep, short period wave action. The internet was telling us and other mariners to expect 8 foot seas today and tomorrow. That didn't sound like a whole pack of fun, and since we were nicely comfortable at a dock with some very kind and friendly folk as neighbours in the centre of a small city with some interesting places to visit, it's as good a place as any to wait out the weather.

I got the wind generator properly hooked up though the Link 2000. If I had read the manual properly when we changed over the house bank I would have noticed that nothing is supposed to hook up to the negative poles of the battery except the shunt that comes with the Link. All sources of power and all loads have to be attached to the low side of the shunt or else the Link can't tell what is being provided to or taken from the batteries. At any rate, this has now been remedied.

I have also hooked up a pole holder for the new-to-me salt water fishing rod. Our friend Jim helped me make a clamp arrangement out of wood to clamp on our antenna mast to which I can clamp the rod holder. Now all I have to do is rig up a line to fasten the rod to the boat so if it gets yanked or dropped I won't lose it over the side.

While we were sitting her at the dock, the USCG ship Eagle came into port. I wasn't aware that this was her normal home port, but they have a CG training academy right here and although she is busy sailing around the world, this where they usually come to refit. It's very interesting that they close down the harbour when she comes in. No one leaves or comes in until she is alongside, then, of course, they put the gangplank down and welcome visitors aboard. This time, after she was alongside, the Royal Princess, a cruise liner came in and berthed - complete with a few cannon shots from the fort in New London. New London, like Halifax, is working very hard to encourage cruise liners to make her docks a regular port of call.

Tonight we are going to BBQ the remaining pork tenderloin and pineapple. We have invited Jim over for dinner to thank him in a small way for his kindness and assistance here in New London/Groton.

I have also sent out an e-mail to the Glass Slipper to see if they are going to still be in Port Jefferson on Saturday which is when we are planning to arrive there. To catch the tidal currents right we will have to leave here at 0300, but that will get us there around noon.


Comments