S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Strange Anchorage

Today was another very long day that started at 0530 with us getting up to have breakfast and get the boat ready for first light at around 0630 to start through the first of two canals that we were going through - the Cape May. We were a little nervous as the fixed bridges were 55' and although our height is only 51', with all the other "cabbage" that we have on the top of the mast we weren't absolutely sure, but we went through with no problem. The other boat that was accompanying us, Quetico, had 54' mast with "cabbage" and he needed every inch!

Cape May canal was short, a couple of miles, with lovely houses along the banks. It would be very odd, I think, to buy waterfront property that you can't use the water - you're not permitted docks, and the one or two people that did have boats had small RIBs that the had build a marine skid way that enabled them to haul it up onto their lawn and then slid it back in when they wanted to use it. At the Western end there was a very shallow bit that had me nervous especially at low tide and then we came upon a ferry terminal that had a ferry departing just as we were arriving just to add to the morning's excitement.

We got the sails up, more to steady the boat and then rode the tidal current up the Delaware. Several lessons were learned today: 1. The tides here are to be respected, 2. Careful planning is essential to take advantage of the currents, and 3. All of the other boats were careful to stay just out of the traffic zone. There is a reason - traffic! As we were making our passage, there were 4 or 5 large commercial vessels also moving up the Delaware.

We made contact with some old friends and also made some new ones during this trip. Tortola was ahead of us, Quntico and ourselves were about neck and neck and we made radio contact with another couple that we hope to meet from a homemade catamaran called Peace. As I write this we are all anchored in the mouth of Bohemia River.

We made it to the C&D Canal at a little after 1400 and as we initially entered I was a tad nervous that we had missed the tide, but no. As we got further into the canal we were goosed along by a 1 to 1.5 knot extra assistance. Our initial plan had been to go into Anchorage Basin at Chesapeake City, but that was much smaller than we had anticipated and it was packed! Our fall back plan had always been for Bohemia River and we almost didn't make this. It is very shallow. Nelleke will spend the night with 6" of water under her keel. I don't mind it for tonight as the weather forecast is very benign, but I wouldn't want to anchor here if there was any weather on the way.

I have made contact with Eric from Clearpoint Weather and he is trying to find us a spot to anchor in Annapolis for tomorrow night and subsequently for an additional couple of nights. We are trying to get to the boat show and to some place where we can replenish provisions.

Comments