S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Done with the Canal and on with things

Well! We're through the canal, and as I said yesterday, I'm glad we did it; it was very enjoyable; but I don't think that we'll do it again. There are just too many old tree stumps etc that you will run into if you draw 6'. On the other hand I can strongly recommend that anyone should consider going into the canal as far as the locks from either end, just to explore, especially the NC end of the trip. This is a real cypress swamp with a lot of scenery and relatively deep water to travel through. The logs to bump into are only in the canal itself between the locks.

Today we said a hopefully temporary good-bye to our new friends Maury and Ginger. We will be staying in Elizabeth town for a couple of days and they need to head out early tomorrow AM. They have been a great asset and friends starting in Norfolk.

This morning was freeeeezing! We had enough frost on the deck that I was worried about taking Peri ashore for his walk. All the locals were falling over themselves apologizing for the weather - like it was their fault. Oh well, hopefully as we go farther south everything will smooth out and warm up.

Our trip began at 0730 when we moved off the dock to let those inside of us leave to head down to the lock. We had elected to stay for the later lock at 1130 so Maury was filling his water tanks and we all visited the visitors centre and did touristy stuff. Then around 1030 I had a closer look at the documentation about the locks in the canal and found that the locking was at 1100, not 1130 and there was no way we would make the planned trip, so we revised plans and went for the 1330 locking. When we first arrived, there was only Gypsy Sails and ourselves but by the time that 1330 rolled around there were 7 of us. Locking down was a whole lot easier that going up for sure!

The trip out of the canal was one of the most scenic and memorable that I could mention. Take a look at the photo gallery to see. By the way, any of you that are reading this, please take the time to check the gallery periodically. We will add the photos that we have taken whenever we get to a good internet connection. The only negative part of traveling down the canal at this point was the point where we heard gunfire and came along side of a fellow with his rifle clamped to a table firing up a range that paralleled the canal. All I could think of is what would happen if one of his rounds hit a tree twig and ricocheted or something. It isn't inconceivable that the round could have come our way.

Other than that it was very picturesque and worth the trip in itself. Even the bridge operator held the bridge opening for 10 minutes to let us get there to transit.

Elizabeth City is every bit as cruiser friendly as we had been led to believe. First the dock is free - no power or water but who cares. They have a wine and cheese party every night for the cruisers who are in port. The various stores have deals to encourage you to stay and demonstrate their hospitality. For instance, the local grocery store will pick you up and drive you to their store and then drive you back and help you carry your groceries to the boat. There are several wonderful restaurants within easy walking distance from the docks, a museum, a historical part of town and some extremely hospitable people who give every evidence that they are genuinely glad to see you and who hope that you'll stay for a visit.

There is a harbour cam website for Elizabeth City: www.ecncweather.com/harborcam.php

Comments