S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Some Progress!

Today was a day of adventure, suspense and exhaustion.

First, I, Mike, got up at 0430 this morning to walk Peri so we could get off at daybreak. Ungrateful wretch! He didn't complete his end of the arrangement and as soon as we got back to Nelleke he hopped back into the bunk and went back to sleep. Next time he can just use the green carpet...

Then, we set off at 0620, not without a little trepidation about the shoaling stories that we had heard about the waterway and lack of federal funding to keep it cleared. At the start of the day we were facing stiff winds at 20-25 knots, but with a 1.5 knot current kick. This business of currents in these parts is verrrrry interestin'! Whether the current is ebbing or flowing as you approach one of the inlets the current either helps or hinders you and then, as you pass the inlet and go the other side, it either hinders or helps you. Sort of works out even in the long run. Anyway, in the long run, at the end of the day, we never had less than 3' under the keel. I followed all of the advice from the local experts including Alan from Andale, and followed the channel like a hawk and favoured the red side and never had a problem. I'm beginning to wonder if some part of the horror stories are all part of a minor conspiracy to try to get funding out of the federal government for dredgeing.

We had one really nervous moment when we heard that the Onslow Bridge was shut for repairs and we were prepared to anchor in front of it to wait for the repairs along with the 30 other boats all of whom had the same idea. We had heard this when we were still more than 20 miles from it and watched as some boats elected to stop at one of the two marinas prior to getting there. We took the risk that they would have it open by the time we got there or shortly after, or we would simply anchor there until they did. Fortunately for our travel plans just as Barb got the anchor down we heard from the bridge Tender that they had gotten the bridge working again and we were off, all 30 of us! It was kind of like shaking a bottle of pop and then taking the cap off. All of the powerboats were trying to get through ahead of the sailboats so they won't have to go through all the passing that they had already done up to this point. As we got through to the other side I saw one sailboat ahead that made me understand why they wanted to do this. This guy had his sail up in the middle of a very restricted channel and was beating to windward at a 30+ degree angle of heel which meant that he was block a substantial piece of the ICW real-estate. He was eventually passed by all of the power boats and most of the sailors under power all of who gave him withering stares. Sadly the stares went unrecognized for what they were.

We passed through Cap Lejune the Marine training camp. In fact the Onslow Bridge is the responsibility of the USMC. Check out the gallery for some of the interesting things that we saw in passing.

We had four bridges to go under today - the Onslow, the Surf City, the Figure Eight Island and lastly, the Wrightsville Bridge, right next to the marina that we are staying in tonight. We arrived at each one just in time except for the last where we has to wait for 30 minutes for the scheduled opening, but that was OK as we only had to get through and then the marina was immediately to starboard. We saw several pods of dolphins along the way, which is a good sign, and tons and tons of pelicans to say nothing of all the Canadian Snowbirds that we met, mostly from Montreal, but one from St Andrews NB.

We finally got through the last bridge and got along side at the marina by 1810 and docked right in front of our friends Alan and Cat aboard Andele. We had a great evening socializing with them and are hoping to see them in Tampa when we get there. Their boat is incredible! Although a power boat Alan had me aboard for drinks and showed me his engine room and workshop. All I can say is WOW! You can stand up in it and you could eat off the floor; he has a fully equipped office and two full staterooms, one with a walk in closet for his wife; and finally, aft, he had a laundry and fully equipped workshop. Of course I couldn't afford to start the engines, but it was really nice to see and great of him to show me.

Tomorrow, if the weather gods continue to be kind, I will fuel up, water up, fix one of the running lights and head out for Southport immediately after Cape Fear and then jump off to Charleston. This means that It'll be a couple of days before we can make another port. Be patient, please.

Comments