S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another small step for Mike-kind.....

Another step in the journey, this time to Cape Canaveral. Barb and I both want to see the Kennedy Space Centre and take the tour, so when Ken and Lynn said that they wanted to do it too we jumped at the change to cruise for a bit together and to share the cost of a car rental.

The morning started with the anticipated breakfast in the Riverside Diner adjacent to the marina. It was really pretty good. We exercised some restraint and did not go for the huge breakfast that we could have had for about $5US and went, instead, for poached eggs, toast, home fries and sausage all for about $3US!

After breakfast we set off, but I sure didn't cover myself with glory on this departure. I totally misjudged the effect of the wind opposing the current and as we reversed the plastic blade from one of the dingy oars broke off and went into the water. Not the end of the world and it is replaceable, but it was a bit damaging to my ego. Fortunately there was no one there to witness it, and short of you folks reading the blog, no one need know, eh?

The day's trip was made in bright sunshine and light winds and we were accompanied by dolphins regularly they were almost like old friends. The interesting thing about this part of Florida is that the large mansions seemed to have faded away and were replaced by large resorts, condominiums and retirement communities. In addition we must have passed a dozen trailer and RV parks catering to fishermen and there certainly were a lot of them out on the water. The old saying that Florida is for the newlywed or nearly dead is only partially true. We certainly say a lot of people that didn't fit either category who were clearly out enjoying their surroundings.

On a sad note, as we were coming along one of the stretches of the waterway with numerous inlets we got a forceful reminder of how much you must take care of where you decide to anchor. If you check the photo gallery you will see a shot of a nice boat that had clearly anchored where at high tide there was enough water to get in but when the tide went out they were stranded and worse. When the tide came back in they were flooded and sank. I don't know how long they had been there but there wasn't too much damage or vandalism so I suspect that it was only a couple of days. Definitely they were not good days for the skipper.

Anyway, this has been a relatively short travel day and we are at anchor just off the Titusville Marina and Barb is getting ready to accompany Lynn in on their dingy to give Peri his evening walk. We are making plans for tomorrow's visit to the Space Centre. The tickets are $45 each but since we are at anchor and that is free, we will splurge for something really interesting and that exists in only one place in the world.

Comments