S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Space Centre Day

Last night we had Ken and Lynn over for dinner where yours truly covered himself with his customary culinary glory with a hodgepodge stir fry. It's the second night in a row that we have subjected these poor people to the task of helping us eat up leftovers and refrigerator octogenarians that need to be consumed before we have to throw them out. I hope they don't read anything into that.

Titusville anchorage just outside of the marina is an interesting spot to stay - quite secure and relatively peaceful. I would expect that during the summer it would be packed. The only thing about it is that not too far away is a busy railway line and we have been treated to the sound of trains going back and forth. For me this was kind of nice. It reminded me of one of the places that my parents lived when I was a boy - close enough to the tracks that we could hear the train whistle and a distant rumbling as the trains went by. Also, in our first house after Barb and I got married, we had a train track right across our back yard - infrequently used and it was what gave us the opportunity to afford ocean front property in downtown Halifax Regional Municipality (Dartmouth), but a couple of times a week there would be a rumble that would shake the house slightly as a freight train went past very slowly.

We have booked Barb on a flight back to Halifax where she will be taking care of some business matters before coming back. Westjet has a seat sale right now thank heavens.

The morning was still cool but not so cold as to send us running for the parkas. Ken and Lynn had been kind enough to let us hang on to their Zodiac for the evening so as to let us zoom Peri in for his walk this morning and then come back out to pick them up for our visit to the Space Centre. This place on the surface seems a bit expensive, but after having made the visit we can tell you that it was worth every penny.

The cab let us off right at the entrance gates and we were welcomed by the sounds of inspirational music and I don't mean that of a religious nature. Astronauts are tied with movie stars as apex celebrities down here and personally I think there is no contest, they should be on the top. For $38 you get access to all of the Centre including a 3 hour bus tour, and access to as many of the exhibits as you care to visit. Plus, the tickets are good for two days! Find that somewhere else. There were three separate steps or legs to the tour bus travels: the first took us to an area where they explained the preparation of the shuttle for launch and showed us videos of the process; the second stop was to explain the Saturn V rocket system and its role in putting the Apollo project on the rails for the moon shots - besides the video there was also a display of the rocket itself and several of the payloads that it carried into space; and finally there was a building dedicated to the international space station. We have some photos that we took in several of these sites as well of some general hug and grin photos that we have put in the blog. In addition the Space Centre is a wildlife preserve with wild hogs, birds, armadillos and - alligators! Alligators are the one critter that we have both been looking forward to seeing and who would have guessed that we would have had to go to the Space Centre to see an animal that hasn't changed in a millennia?

We are having Ken and Lynn over again tonight to get them to help us eat up stuff before it goes off. Plus we'll be able to make plans for tomorrow. With Barb's airline tickets booked and paid for it is becoming increasingly important that we get along to Indian Harbour. Looks like I'll be taking the boat across Lake Okeechobee all by myself unless someone out there would like to join me.
??f

Comments