S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Adventure day in Kayaks

This morning we finally stopped procrastinating and used the de-poop-a-lator here at the marina, and, Yippie, it worked. I no longer have to worry about emptying the holding tank on this trip. Everything works - the macerator pump and the deck fitting for the on shore pump. Especially here in Florida where the laws are so strictly enforced this is a big load off my mind, so to speak.

We are launching the dingy to install the new bilge plug and putting the kayak ashore for the kayak trip. I have also replaced the old dome lights with the more modern energy efficient ones that Kayt brought down with her. The old ones worked by rotating the glass lens and with age the contact points had become distorted and corroded so they were un-reliable. The new ones have a simple toggle switch and are a lot easier to use and make sure are on. The bulbs from the old ones will work on some of the deck lights so they won't be wasted.

At 1230 the fellow from the kayak place showed up with a kayak for Kayt and we started to paddle around to get some experience and the tone up the unused muscles. The area is really shallow in some spots which explains why the guide wants to do the tour at high tide to ensure that we aren't always running aground. However we did paddle about for an hour or so and saw some of the houses from the water viewpoint and a couple of the yacht clubs before we brought the kayaks back to Nelleke to tie up to await 3 thirty and the tour.

We went out with three other groups and had a fascinating time. Our guide, Kurt, is directly and closely involved with the project to reclaim Clam Bayou. He told us the reason for the poor water conditions and unsuitable beaches in Boca Ciega was the fact that 50 years ago a developer dredged out the existing mangrove swamp to build land upon which he could subdivide out lots and as a result the bay is dead. Nothing will grow there and the fish basically stay away and the water is dark and grey. Add to that the storms will wash anything off the streets and yards that isn't tied down and wash them through the storm drains into the Bayou. Once there they interfere with the natural drainage of the watershed and streams and creeks that at one time supported commercial waterway traffic become only inches deep. He and his friends pulled out a couple of the shopping carts and within months the water had cleared away the silt to depths of more than a foot. After several more trash removal visits the waterway is now 2 feet deep and more and the wildlife is starting to return. He pointed out several varieties of aquatic bird life and showed us tree crabs and a spot where a 12' bull alligator makes his nest. Mr G wasn't there today, but it was obvious where he liked to lie. There was a clear indentation where he would rest and store his food until it would decompose enough for it to be torn apart for him to eat. This was a well worth afternoon and we'll definitely do it again when Chris and Taunya arrive.


Comments