S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Ordering the Windlass and checking out Fat Deer Cay.

Yesterday, I went in to the spot where Snoozer showed me to dock and go into the convenience store. It turns out that it is part of a gas station and is a lot larger than most of the convenience stores than we have at home with the possible exception of some of the depananeurs in Quebec. They even had a small deli on the premises. Outside was a fruit and vegetable truck that when Barb comes with me I am sure we will buy some extra stuff, and a little further along is a place called the Captains Three that sells fresh fish and key lime pies. We'll have to try that too.

The dingy ride down there was quite pleasant threading our way through a mangrove island and past another small anchorage. I motored past a couple of groups of kayakers out to enjoy the sunny day. Everyone seems quite interested in the seagull - some with incredulity and some with genuine interest.

In the evening Barb still wasn't feeling well so she went to bed and I went up to join Snoozer and some of his friends for a beer or two in his Tiki Hut. I discovered that the Tiki Hut construction around here seems to be the prerogative of the Seminole Indians and they have run afoul of the bureaucracy when it comes to getting permits. Snooze seems to think that there won't be any more built and he is afraid that the municipal government will actually direct that they be taken down. That would be a shame as they provide a much cooler shade than a tarp or tile. Apparently someone deliberately set one afire in a bar somewhere and there was a great deal of property loss so the solution is to outlaw the structure. I also met a retired doctor who argued passionately about how wonderful the American medical system is and how socializing it would be such a huge mistake. It was a good evening.

This morning, Barb and I delayed Peri's walk until I could order the new windlass from Chris at the Binnacle. That was when we discovered that we would be visiting Snooze for at least two weeks so that the windlass could be shipped from Vancouver to Halifax (five days) and then from Halifax to Marathon (another five days). Snooze gave us a tour of the area and there are much worse places to be waiting for parts. I'm sure that we can find lots to occupy ourselves with for that time.

After ordering the windlass we all went over to Snooze's Tiki Hut for coffee and biscuits, but first there was Peri's walk. For that Snooze directed us to the main road and along to the left for a hundred yards to the point where we could access the beach which is doggie friendly as long as you keep Fido on a leash and pick up and Fido-izms that he might leave behind. We weren't two steps onto the beach before we saw that few people that live here pay attention to the leash part, but we kept a control on Peri anyway. The water was the warmest so far and we found some interesting shells for Barb's collection.

After his walk I brought Peri to the boat while Barb made friends with all the guys in the area and then Snooze took us off for our tour and the Marathon 101 lesson. Apparently the city was a brain surge of a couple of realtors who felt that if they could form a municipality then they would have more control over the by-laws governing development than if they left it to the state and a new city was born but not without its hiccups. We got to visit the Municipal Marina and saw a really well run mooring field and boating facility. Snoozer mentioned that it was that way because it is being run by boaters for boaters and most of the municipal employees live on their boats in the mooring field. It all helps. A huge bath house; a large exchange library; a superior internet connect ability; well planned and well thought out. After that we went to another commercial marina for lunch and a couple of beers. Apparently Canadians have a reputation for cheapness in these parts so we make sure that with the fine service we tipped fairly just to up the standard a bit. Then we took a tour of a couple of other communities that were a little eccentric (in spite of the 25 mph posted speed limit you get cited if you go faster than 20!) and to a store where I was able to order a new ammeter for the wind generator. Then a quick stop at Captains Three where we bought a pound of 16 count shrimp and a key lime pie as well as an assortment of cooking spices and mixes for Barb and we were back to the boat.

That was when we found out that Snoozer and his buddies were planning a party that they decided to use to welcome us to the marina and to Marathon. Very nice of them, isn't it? A little arm twisting and they agreed to allow us to add a few bits and pieces to the meal. We will do the same mac and cheese that I made for the Sunday BBQ at Indiantown. Either Barb will let me make it or there will be a small concern if it will be quite as good.....

Comments