S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another day of pounding into the wind

We are definitely in the north of Florida. I was wearing my parka foulies all day today in the wind chilled temperatures. Yessir, we are definitely in the far north, of Florida that is. So help me, if we saw any overweight guy and he went "Ho. Ho. Ho." I would have been a believer again. As it was I kept looking around for a toy workshop and hundreds of little people.

We got a current boost for all but the last hour and a half and as a result we made the seventy nautical miles in ten hours. Pretty good speed when you consider it.

En route we called in a forest fire to the Coast Guard who in turn passed it on to the Florida Fish and Wildlife and Florida Forestry Services. It felt good to get the Poop Police's dander all up for a change. I was waiting fro someone to try to tell us that it was a training fire and as such was "controlled". Yeah right! Controlled! In 30 knot winds! Yep, that's what we were getting. The alarm on the wind instrument was pinging off all day when it hit thirty.

When we arrived in St Augustine, we again decided to stay at a marina just for the easy of getting away the following morning, plus so we won't have to anchor next to one of those charming fellows that for a six pack of beer will watch your boat, but if you don't give him the six-pack he'll be the first one aboard to help himself to whatever he can pry loose once he sees that you have gone ashore!

It'll be a very short post today so I can take the computer ashore and get on the wifi. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to have better contact from the mooring field in Fernandina Beach. We get lots of hot spots at the dock but everyone has gotten smart and has encrypted their routers.

Comments