S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Doin' "stuff" ashore

Today we took the morning and went ashore not only to walk Peri but also to visit the local museum. You can check it out at www.ameliamuseum.org too. This place is well worth a visit and the $7/pp cover charge to get in. The town brags about having been under 7 flags during its history and this is the first time that we have been able to really visualize that fact. Not only has there been Spanish, French, British and American occupation but also the Patriots, Bolivia and Mexico for very short periods of time.

Besides touring the museum exhibits we stayed around for a talk by a fellow called Jim who did a superb job and clearly enjoys giving the presentation. Through him we got a really great feel and knowledge base for the history of Amelia Island upon which Fernandina Beach is located. He spoke of a period during the last Spanish ownership when the Spaniards weren't actually here and the place was really run by pirates and privateers. The expression he used was "the Wild West on the north east shores of Florida". Apparently people were being shot in gunfights on the street; Ladies Avenue was so named because that was where all the brothels were located; and on the next street over were most of the pubs and saloons. As he spoke I thought that someone was missing a great opportunity for a TV series of a movie by not making that era into a backdrop for a show.

We then walked back into town and visited a unique antique store with over 50 different vendors. Sadly they didn't have the one thing that I always look for in those places - either a concertina or a small accordion. I would prefer the latter but can't find a used one somewhere. There are new ones available but I am not willing to pay the high prices that are being asked for them.

By the time we returned to the boat Mary Lou and Jay had left to head off to Jay's Mom's place somewhere 4 hours away by car. They will be away probably until Monday by which point we should have finished all our boat chores and be ready to set off. Last night prior to the BBQ we had a meeting of the minds and decided on the immediate future course of action for making our way north. WE are in agreement that our next major port of call is Beauford, SC and then Southport and Wrightsville Beach after that.

Tonight we had intended to go on a ghost walk. These are offered in most cities or towns with a reasonable tourist influx and Fernandina is no exception. The only problem is that tonight, Friday night, the only night of the week that the ghost walk is offered, was raining so we decided to stay behind on the boat. I was disappointed to say the least, but Barb took the opportunity to go ashore and do another laundry. What can I say? Booooooring! But it is also one of those things that must be done.

Tomorrow we will go to the Farmer's Market and to a small place we found for pizza for dinner. Who knows? We might even go to a jazz concert.

Comments