S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Getting set to get underway!

Yahooo! Success! I have finished the davit lift points and they are exactly what the doctor ordered - much stronger that what was there before and situated in the right spot to make the lift. Now I can see what I need to do and where I need to put it to make the davit mounts on Nelleke stronger. But that's a job for the summer.

Mary Lou and Jay are back and we have made plans to head over to Cumberland Island tomorrow. The weather would allow us to go today but neither of us are really ready nor do we want to go before heading over to the island so we will be leaving the dock but not the area tomorrow. On the down side, we may have another front move through later this week which will necessitate us going through the ICW in Georgia, something I had been intending to avoid, but our friends on Silverheels were able to do it by being careful so perhaps we can too. We might try outside since the wind will be out of the south so at worst we will have a following sea, but if it's too ugly we will just stay inside and move up the ICW through Georgia in slow and easy steps watching the depth meter and waiting for high tide when we need to. Screech draws 6.5 feet so we'll let them go first, woosies that we are.

Screech needs to come alongside in the early AM to drop off their son who will be taking their car home to Maine, and to pick up a couple of hundred gallons of fuel and we need a pump out. I am filling the water tanks today so that will be done and over with. Barb had made one last trip into town with Mary Lou in their car to buy last minute stuff that we might need and just to get away from the boat for a few hours.

Today is such a different day from the last couple with almost no wind, so I guess if those fellows that set off yesterday were able to tough out yesterday and last night they will have a respite from the conditions today.

I am looking forward to wandering about the island tomorrow. Unfortunately there is unlikely to be the possibility of making a wifi connection from there or indeed for the next couple of days, so those of you that have been faithfully reading, please bear with me. I will be writing the daily blogs and will post them all as soon as I get the chance. I'll also get some photos to post to the gallery and to attach to each daily blog so hopefully your patience will be rewarded.

By the way, if you are interested in the photos, it would be worth your while to keep checking back in the photo gallery. Sometimes we don't get the necessary pictures loaded up for days or even a week after we have posted that day's blog. In fact, we will often go back to a previous blog and attach a photo to it even days after it has already been up there. So if any of you are reading a blog and think that you have already ready read it but that it is different because there is a photo, you instincts are right. It is the same prose; we have just added a photo.

Comments