The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

We’re off! Past Cumberland Island and into the wilds of Georgia

And awaaaaaay we go! Well, almost not. Last night was incredible and I am not talking about my sex life. I have never experienced a lightning storm anything quite like it. Lightning flash followed lightning flash so rapidly that you could have read a newspaper by it, and that is not an exaggeration. In the morning there was six inches of water in the dingy that had to be bailed out before I could take Peri ashore and when the time came to raise the anchor we found that it had really buried itself into the muddy bottom and we needed to use the boat's engine to force it out. In one way, in the storm,that was good but it slowed us down in the departure.

Screech lead the way out to the main channel only to lose power just as we got to the lateral buoy, so they anchored and we held position while they saw what was what. After a half an hour Jay found that the fuel line that was blocked had blocked up again so as he has three fuel tanks, each with more volume that our one, he merely changed over to one of the other tanks and left the guilty one to another day for draining and cleaning and whatever repairs are necessary.

Again, we're off! As we came abreast of the sub base we saw the cruise liner American Spirit coming the other way. That was a good sign since a cruise liner has got to draw more water than we do and if they could come down the ICW then we could go up. As so it proved. Even in the four mile stretch by Jeckel's Island which was reported to be very shallow we never had less than 4 feet under the keel. Mind you we did go through at dead high tide as a result of brilliant planning and dumb luck. In fact the only troublesome part of the trip was crossing the two sounds that we faced on the way here. Not depth related but wind. The wind which was supposed to die down in the PM, didn't, and when we got to the sounds and inlets the wind opposed the currents and built up quite a chop. Fortunately we only had to put up with it for an hour or so before we came into the lea of the ICW again.

After passing Brunswick we turned off the main ICW into a branch channel which was supposed to be marked but wasn't. However, the depths here were as much or more than we have even seen in the main channel. In fact there was never less than 10' under the keel all the way in. We were heading for Fort Fredrick's, a British fort in the colonies preserved as an archaeological dig. I have one or two photos in the gallery and I can attest to the fact that the side trip is well worth it. They have researched and documented the site and made it very visitor friendly. Barb and I took Peri in for his walk and noticed a lot of orange peels scattered about and were thinking "What a shame. Such a nice place and all the3se piggy people come in here with their picnics and spoil it!" Then we noticed that there were several Seville orange trees on the grounds and they drop their fruit and something comes along and eats them. The only negative side is that although Skipper Bob says that the channel is well marked, it isn't; and that you can anchor here and dingy in to the dingy dock, there isn't one. Regardless, it is easy to get in during the daylight and as I said, worth the trip. The best part is that you don't have to turn around to get out. You simply continue and rejoin the main part of the ICW further on.

Dinner tonight will be chicken stir fry with the first of Barb's crop of bean sprouts. Yummm!