S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Work day in Norfolk.

Nelleke survived another wild and woolly night or high winds and surprisingly high seas for a sheltered harbour. The docks are very strong but the T faces are not really suited to dealing with storms of any nature and you have to be very careful in placement of fenders and fender boards and, in yesterday's case, a well placed, activated kedge anchor. Early in the morning the wind lay down and things in the marina got back to normal and the day dawned bright and sunny.

Maury took us to get the propane tanks refilled. Pretty neat here where they charge you by the gallon rather than as if you had a complete fill up. As a result we had one tank completely filled up and the other topped up with 10 gal of propane and I paid the whopping sum of $27!

I started to help Jay and Mary Lou with the electrical wiring on Screech and have managed to decipher the current state of their wiring. At present they have just one battery that serves as starter bank, anchor windlass bank, home entertainment and lighting etc. It's a lot more close to the wire than I would like which is one reason that I was hoping top be able to help them out. However, there are just too many odd things, such as the anchor windlass wired directly to the battery bank rather than through a control panel, for my liking and I didn't want to get started on it and find out that there was something that would prevent me from completing it and then they'd be unable to even start the motor. So, we will leave that until we get to Islesboro and we'll raft up and I'll get to work.

Then, I went over the side with the hookah gear and tried to free up our aft head. While doing it I have come to see that we definitely need some more bottom paint on the boat. We can't complain as it has been over a year now plus we have put some significant miles under the keel. I also took the opportunity to check out Screech for their zincs and water intakes and tried to free up their log impeller; all on about 500 lbs of air.

We went into town to get the diesel parts that Maury had ordered for me only to find out that it was at the wrong store. Their parts department was at a completely different place. They are having them brought over but it means that we'll be waiting for the stuff for another day. We did score some free tickets to an Oyster Roast. Now, I never thought that oysters had a sense of humour.....! We only got two tickets so we gave them to Maury and Ginger as a small way of thanks for all the running around that they have done for us since we have been here. Barb and Mary Lou went and bought a van load of growlies at the Commissary and as I write this Barb is trying to find somewhere to put it all.

Tomorrow, a little more work on the boat and picking up the engine parts and, as well, I might change the oil just to make sure that if we do make the 2 day trip to NYC that there will be no hiccups with the Perkins.

Comments