S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Mother’s Day and back in Canada

We got in last night but not when or where as expected. We got to the race around Brazil Rock at exactly the wrong time and were facing currents if up to 4 knots and since the local fishermen have elected to go with balloons and GPS locations rather than high flyers and RADAR, plus it was dense fog, we couldn't see the pot buoys in the daylight very well, let alone at night, we chose to come back into West Head on Cape Sable Island. We cleared customs and I crashed and slept like a log.

The following morning, this morning, I arose and made Barb her Mother's Day breakfast - porridge and toast (her choice, she could have had anything) and walked over to the Coast Guard station to confirm the tide situation and the fact that we owed no moneys. Good thing, since the tide range was an hour different than we thought.

We took off at 0915 and headed for Shelburne. For most of the trip we had 20 knot winds as a beam reach of a run, that is until we turned into Shelburne Harbour. That's when we got wind of up to 40 knots on the nose and our quick trip slipped to something more challenging.

When we did arrive into Shelburne Harbour our daughter, Kayt, was waiting for us on the dock as a Mother's Day surprise to Barb. Great thing too since she was instrumental in helping us with our lines to dock.

We had a great visit and catch up and then went for a superb dinner at Charlotte's Lane before crashing again. I guess I simply can't handle repeated long and stressful days.

Comments