S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Friday!

Yesterday we had a visit from the Vice Commodore of AYC who was a charming and eloquent individual who did his best to explain to us some of the difficulties that the club has been having over the last several months. He did a good job and we now have a better idea of the challenges he faces as a member of the Committee of Management in trying to set things to right. He also listened and took notes of our concerns so I now have some hopes that at least the Vice Commodore understands where I was coming from in my post of last week. I have some faint hopes that he may even partially agree with us in some of the concerns, whether or not anything can be done is another matter. Regardless, it was a really good meeting and it was great to communicate with someone who truly represents the club executive and to do so in person.

We have still made what for us is a big decision. We have decided to join the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron (RNSYS or "the Squadron"). Although the Yard Foreman here at AYC has very kindly committed to do is best to keep us on a dock this summer, we will have to be moving about to a dock that has been vacated when a member goes on holiday and so he can't absolutely guarantee that there will always be a space available. Plus many of the docks are old and have only a 15A service to them and for example the spot where we are at present is both way too small for us and we keep popping the circuit breaker when I am trying to use my tools. I have been told that the club has plans to upgrade the dock power, but frankly we only have so much time this summer to make a lot of changes and we can't wait. We have decided to maintain our membership at AYC so that we are entitled to not only enjoy the clubs facilities and events, and come down to visit our friends here but also to attend the club meetings and vote on matters that concern us.

Tonight we went up to the Sqn to enjoy our first meal up there and I can happily report that it was very nice - excellent surroundings, good service, fine food at a not unreasonable price (12 oz steak for $12, for example). We will be "subletting" dock number 54 for the summer and we have been told that on June 19th there is a New Members Night Dock Party at which we will be introduced to the other members of the Sqn and "wet in" as we used to say at the mess.

Comments