S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A significant change

Well. The deed has been done. If you look at the heading of this post and at the Google Earth you will see that Nelleke is no longer at AYC. Rather we are now on one of the T-faces at RNSYS at the mouth of the Northwest Arm. After 10 years at Armdale we are embarking on an additional adventure of being dual yacht club members, or rather tri yacht club members as we already belonged to both Armdale and Shelburne. The docks at the Squadron all have 30A service which is important to us so that we can use all of our power tools to make the changes to the boat.

Before departing Armdale I had a good chat with the Commodore and made sure that he understood that our main reason for leaving was to do with the power and the dock and not the petty silliness that fell out of a post that I made last week. We intend to remain members of AYC and in fact I have offered to participate in any committee that the Commodore feels that I might be able to make a contribution towards resolving the difficulties that the club currently faces. We'll be spending a fair amount of time in Armdale in order that we maintain contact with our friends there and so that we can participate in any events.

Our short trip up the Arm was in the company of our daughter Kayt and her new boyfriend Kevin and his young son Karter. It's great to see that she has met a nice fellow but I was a little intimidated as he is a professional mariner from the Navy. But I needn't have worried. He was great company and his young two year old was a lot of fun. We had just purchased a life jacket for smaller guests so he was the first to wear it.

Once we arrived we found that our spot was right next to a group of other AYC veterans that had also migrated up to the Sqn for a variety of reasons, and I hear that there may be more following. I hope that people are making these sorts of decisions for the right reasons and not in haste or anger.

Last night we visited our friends Ron and Pye from Jambalaya II in their new home out in St Margaret's Bay- a beautiful place, with an incredibly fine landscaped yard and a great view of the Bay. They treated us to an excellent dinner of chicken curry and rice and (yummm) blueberry pie (slurp). Ron might even be coming with us on our trip to Bermuda this fall. That would make two additional crew that we would have if Mike from Windshadow would be able to come too. Both these guys are experienced sailors so that would make for a strong watch system for the 5-6 day trip from Halifax across the Gulf Stream to Bermuda.

Comments