S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Sunday, the Marblehead Race has started and we are making progress....

Sunday, yahoo, and we are making some progress on another project - the new fridge. I can now admit to a sneaking fear that we wouldn't be able to remove the old one from its spot without causing some major damages to the surrounding cabinetry but if you'll look at the photos in the gallery you will see that was not the case. I did also harbour some idea that we'd be able to sell the old fridge somehow for a few bucks but then, as we were removing it, it became obvious that it was drawing near to the end of its useful life. In fact considering all of the rust that we found on it some might say that it was living on borrowed time. I shudder to think that we had been relying on it to keep our foodstuffs fresh and healthy. Yuck! So instead of being sold to a university student for use as some kind of bar fridge it was plunked, without much ceremony, into the waiting dumpster in the boatyard.

By the end of the day I had cut a hole in the floor under the space where the old fridge was to get at the top of the holding tank so that I could install the poop-o-meter. This is a simple float switch that will turn on a little red light warning us that the time is nigh for a pump out either over the side or into a dockside station somewhere. I had hoped to put the fridge elements in place so we can reclaim our salon living space but by 1800 I was beat so we called it quits.

It's Sunday the 5th and at 1300 EST the first class of the Marblehead to Halifax Race crossed the start line. The fastest boats should be here in Halifax in a couple of days. We have vacated our space on the dock so the contestants will have a spot to tie up while they clear Canadian customs and have moved back over to right near one of the spaces where we were tied up originally. I imagine that we'll be here for about a week and then we'll head back over to TD9.

Several of our old friends from AYC have been passing by us on their way out to enjoy themselves in the harbour. They slow right down when they pass us which is very courteous from a wake point of view but I also wish that some of them would stop and say "Hi!" so we can invite them in for a wee dram or two. Maybe if any of them are reading this they'll take it as an invitation.

Armdale is planning a cruise up to Cape Breton this year which we really wish that we could join them for, but at least we might be able to make the McGrath's Cove Raft up this year next month.

Anyway, we'll make this a short post today so I can get back to work.

Comments