S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Some non-boating blog.....

We went to the Paul McCartney yesterday. Need I say more? Well, I will. Nearly three hours of continuous most excellent music, if you don't count the two times they finished and left the stage only to be called back for encores, and those departures were only long enough for them to wipe their foreheads, slug back a drink of water or whatever and then hop back on stage. Pretty damn good for a guy going on 68! Pretty damn good for anyone! The thing that I like best about his music is its variety. Almost every other group that has a hit has a sound....and that sound, the sound of the Nightly Head Bangers, Nose Pickers, or whatever they are called is their only sound. Everything they do sound pretty much the same. Even guys like Axel Rose have pretty much the same sound in all their original music, although I will say that he does a pretty good job with his versions of McCartney's stuff. But take Paul McCartney style though, think about it, in his career collaborating within the Beatles or by himself, every song he wrote was a new and fresh experience, whether it was the melody line, the rhythm or even the different instruments that he incorporated into the tune. How many hit songs have bagpipes in them for heaven's sake?! The only thing that I didn't like about the concert had nothing to do with the acts, rather it was with some members of the audience. Getting stoned and grooving to the sound of the bands is one thing, but getting falling down drink and stumbling through the crowds and knocking over people and chairs etc is quite another. Folks had been on the Commons Grounds from 1500 onward and had started drinking at 1501, if not before. Jeeze! If you can't hold it - fold - don't do it!

We are back in our regular spot on the Tender Dock and it's good to be home. We are working apace on the new fridge install and it is in place, just not connected and fastened to the bulkhead. Tomorrow, I'll buy a few bits and pieces at the Binnacle to get the job done. I am really lucky to have Barb to help. She doesn't realize how much she does do because when she is doing it I am focused on the job, grouchy and pretty sparing with the compliments. Suffice to say, it would take easily three times as long without her extra hands. Perhaps she'll read this and get the message.

Comments