S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Visits and some frustration!

Well, our Japanese friends from Fang got here and it has been great to renew acquaintances, but we have been super frustrated with some people who have responded to our ad in Kijiji for the generator. We have either had people who want a "super" deal, meaning that they want us to give it to them or ones that say they will be here, ask directions and everything, and then simply don't show up. I could understand them not finding their way, but they do have our phone number and they could have called, either to tell us that they have changed their minds or that they need further directions, but they don't. They just leave us sitting here waiting for "no shows". Honestly, some people need manners lessons or at least a quick course in Consideration 101. I hope it happens to them one day.

Our friends on Fang have been at the Squadron for a couple of days now and have made some engine repairs and are getting ready to head out again. They have been over to Nelleke getting a look at our charts and some directions as to places to stopover. We have suggested that they take in the Bras d'Or Lakes and then head north to Port aux Basques and then up the west coast of Newfoundland to L'Anse aux Meadows and up the coast of Labrador before jumping over to Greenland. They have already done the Russia to Alaska route so the cold won't be too much of a shock to their systems, but I hope they don't drag their heels. We have seen several boats heading over on that route get stuck for the winter in Greenland when they get weather bound.

Nelleke will be hauled out on Friday of this week and both Barb and I have been busy getting the cradle ready for the big event. I have put cushions on the support pads and Barb has put a new coat of rust paint on the whole thing. I have also bought some of those driveway snow markers. You know the ones? They are about six feet long with a reflector atop them and are intended to stick in the snow or in the dirt along the driveway so the snowplough will know when pavement stops and grass begins. My plan is to put them on the four corners of the cradle so that they will protrude above the surface of the water when the cradle is submerged and I'll be able to see what I am doing, plus the yard crew will know where to position the boat as a prelude to the haul. Fingers crossed!

Our plans for Bermuda are progressing or at least are getting firmed up in everything except for the actual date, A couple of the fellows that would like to come with us have been date restricted by their jobs so it now looks like they might be joining us for the Bermuda to BVI leg instead. Terrible how a job gets in the way of the serious business of sailing, isn't it?

Comments