Nemesis - Sydney Harbour Racing

13 July 2013 | The Taylor pad, Surry Hills
07 July 2013 | Sydney Harbor
30 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
16 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
02 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
26 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 May 2013 | CYCA Board Room
19 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
08 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
02 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
24 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
17 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
03 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
27 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
20 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
13 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour
06 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour

Race 5 of the CYCA Winter Series

26 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
jT - sunny with light winds
Crew (Doug, Luke, Andrew, Dan, Annabel, and Jeff)

Dan was on the boat early, and advised that Manuel and Ollie wouldn’t be showing up. Something about last seen kicking on at 1am. Slackers! It was a quiet morning setting up, Dan had some good looking blueberry muffins, and I almost took one offered but figured a bacon and egg sanger might be needed. The wind prediction was light and getting lighter during the day so some calories were in order! Six crew was the right amount, so all was good.

We got out to the race course and there was about 10 knots of breeze. We played the start line and bit and got our first tack figured out. First time this year I held us up towards the start boat, so we had a line of yachts on Starboard below us as we came up to the start. With a bit of pushing and shoving by the boats below, we surprisingly started right next to the start boat in clean air. With a bit of bobbing and weaving, we kept the course with the intention of staying under Clark Island. The first leg worked for us, with a nice lift taking us up towards the mark. By the first mark, we had Inkonkoni in our sights and had taken at least half of her one minute lead out of her. We had a good off the breeze run back to Shark Island and were slowly pulling the 46 foot Beneteau in. Heading down the harbor, towards Sow and Pigs, was a nice beam reach. The wind was slowly dying out and we slowly reeled Inkonkoni in. By the mark we had closed to within 10 seconds and pursued her up the course. Behind us the wind was even lighter and our competition hadn’t closed the gap on us as of yet.

For the next leg we kept pulling close to Inkonkoni until we were less than a boat length off her transom. Both of us would have to tack in order to clear Neilson’s Point, so I cut us away first hoping to beat her by just enough to force behind us on starboard. With several minutes of sailing, she came back at us on port tack, but was able to tack right under us! Still just barely a length between us, I waited until we cleared the point and then decided to duck under her. Inkonkoni stayed high, and with the boys (Luke and Doug) trimming like crazy, we were able to sail under her and clear the Shark Island mark well ahead of her. We repeated the earlier tactic and kept below Clark Island after crossing the first lap gate. This paid off by the time we hit Garden Island with a nice chunk taken out of Inkonkoni. The only downside was L’Attitude caught and passed us at that mark!

The next leg was tricky sailing, with the wind shifting and fading away. We poled out the heady and almost were pointed at Point Piper trying to chase a wind line. L’Attitude kept her line to the mark and was able to still beat us by a wide margin. We dropped the pole and angled back to the mark on a near beam reach. Just as we pasted the Shark Island mark, the wind just died. Down to 1.5 – 2.0 knots. We ghosted along for about 20 minutes and were barely able to keep on our course.

The two big fifty footers, In Cahoots and then Silver Minx slowly pulled us in. I would have swore they had a motor on if both boats weren’t in a ghosting conga line! We lost all steerage as In Cahoots past and nosed towards Neilson’s Point. The wind returned, well just enough to regain control, just before we would be in danger from hitting the rocks. Tacking, we slowly drifted on the tide back towards a triple wood pile. Clearing by barely two feet, we had to call starboard on another boat. They had enough speed to be able to drive behind us. Our friend’s, Inkonkoni had caught up and we also were able to force them to duck below us. Unfortunately for them, Sextant (our friend from last week) was right below them on starboard. Sextant called Inkonkoni on Starboard, but the wind was dead. There was almost a collision as Inkonkoni was barely able to move and tack. Sextant slide by her with inches to spare. With us just above Inkonkoni, we should have had to tack as well. But with them tussling, we kept our course and then just barely ducked Sextant. Inkonkoni applauded our ‘seamstress’ abilities by our threading the needle!

The next two hours slowly ticked by and with the sun dropping behind the skyline we still hadn’t reached Sow and Pigs. With time expired we turned on the motor and headed for home. The bar awaited us, and Kirsty came down to commiserate our lack of finishing. A slow day, all and all! The first lap and a half was very competitive, bummer it didn’t end up counting. Out of the ~100+ boats, only 4 in all finished… Till next week…
Comments
Vessel Name: Nemesis
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 41
Hailing Port: K&J: Sydney, Australia - Nemesis: Chico, California
Crew: Jeff & Kirsty
About:
We now have the South Pacific trip behind us. What a glorious year and a half. We averaged 5.5 knots on our ~12,000 mile voyage. We made landfall into Australia at Bundaberg. [...]
Extra:
Kirsty and I got engaged in March and were married in November... Bought a house in Surry Hills AND prepping for the 2010 Sydney Hobart race! Trust me, never take on these three things in the same year! This year racing will be quite different, now we aren't living on the boat and can actually [...]
Nemesis's Photos - Main
Nemesis and her quest to contend the 2010 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race
1 Photo
Created 11 October 2010
Photos from French Polynesia
28 Photos
Created 25 May 2009
Galapagos
21 Photos
Created 31 March 2009
All the stuff we eat, make, cook or consume that is photogenic
No Photos
Created 28 March 2009
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
26 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
Sights of Plants, flowers, trees and such
7 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
The ones that DIDN'T get away :)
11 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
If you love Pina Coladas... or just perfect sunsets!
14 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
Nemesis Photos
10 Photos
Created 31 January 2009