Nemesis - Sydney Harbour Racing

13 July 2013 | The Taylor pad, Surry Hills
07 July 2013 | Sydney Harbor
30 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
16 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
02 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
26 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 May 2013 | CYCA Board Room
19 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
08 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
02 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
24 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
17 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
03 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
27 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
20 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
13 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour
06 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour

First Fijian Sunset

26 August 2009 | Anchored in Saweni Bay, near Lautoka, Fiji
KB, Chilly in the monring, warm during the day with Simpsons puffy clouds
We are safely anchored in Fiji after a very fast and easy passage across from Tonga, it was the best passage we've had since the Pacific crossing. We checked in yesterday with absolutely no problems - there has been a lot of chatter amongst the cruisers that it was going to be a tough check in but it couldn't have been easier for us - the officials were great, really helpful and very quick. So with our cruising permit in hand we are ready to explore Fiji. Both of us are eagerly awaiting our first curry - we have been looking forward to one for months - Indian and Asian food is not easy to get out here in the Pacific.

We checked in at Lautoka, which is a sugar milling port about 10 miles north of Nadi and had been warned by one of our friends not to stay in the anchorage overnight if we could avoid it otherwise we would wake up to a coating of black dust from the mills on our decks in the morning - yuk - not something we were eager to see. So with check in complete at 4pm we pulled our anchor and headed off to Saweni Bay, which is about 3 miles south of Lautoka. We passed it on the way in and it looked like a good spot to start our time in Fiji, a nice beach and well protected. We anchored in about 15 feet of water, being careful to avoid a reef on either side on the bay and sat down with a sundowner to enjoy our first Fijian sunset and we weren't disappointed. The sunset was magnificent - with a few clouds to make it interesting we were treated to a stunning display - we got some great shots, which we will post once we get an internet connection.

This part of Fiji is behind a huge fringing reef so its very well protected from the ocean swells, very calm water at the moment and light winds so we should have some fun sailing here. There are lots of little islands to explore. We are going to spend the next few days checking out some of the closer islands and then on Tue we will collect Lou from the airport - she'll be joining us for a week or so - looks like she has picked a winner - so far Fiji is looking great.

Next Stop Fiji

21 August 2009 | Leaving Vava'u Island Group, Kingdom of Tonga
KB, Overcast, light rain
We are underway again, heading out of the main entrance to the Vava'u Group in Northern Tonga enroute for Fiji. We have been here in Tonga for about 10 days and we have enjoyed the hospitality of the local community a lot. There is a thriving little network of local businesses who run a morning net each day and generally help point newcomers in the right direction - we havent come across that type of thing since Mexico and we didnt realise how much we missed it until now.

Its a cloudy overcast kind of day, which is similar to what its been like the whole time we have been here. Its been a little colder than either of us would like so we are hoping that Fiji has some warmer weather waiting for us. We are expecting lightish winds the whole way across so lets hope its a fast and comfortable passage. We are really looking forward to having Lou join us for a week in Fiji and then Jeff's Dad Gary after that for a week - should be lots of fun - both of them are going to be with us during the Fiji Regatta Week at Musket Cove, which sounds like its going to great.

So thats its for now - we will post more about Tonga soon.

Landfall at last in TONGA!

12 August 2009 | Vava'u Island Group, Kingdom of Tonga
jT,part cloudy with rain and sun
After a 5 day sail, we are safely anchored in Tonga. The 700 mile passage was a combination of all types of weather and sailing, from hard on the nose, to rolly swell dead down wind. We even had the middle bit with no wind and motored for a day. But after a interesting night entrance (thanks Kirk on Salsa for some great GPS coordinates), we are snuggled safe and sound in a picturesque bay. In the approach to the island, we had absolute darkness, with the moon due to rise after midnight. We could see a small loom of lights from about 20 miles out, and knew at least some island we there! As we pull closer for our approach, wind and squalls kicked up into the low 30 knot range. Dropping sails calmed the boat a bit, but we still were having significant windage as we slowly motored the three miles to our first way point. We actually just kept enough forward motion to defeat the howling wind on our bow, and keep the boat pointed straight ahead, so those three miles we stretched into two hours :)

Total darkness at sea is an amazing thing. You feel the power and movement of the ocean as it rolls to you. The wind dictates the direction of the prevailing swell, but you have no visual reference. Last night, even the stars were mostly gone, with full cloud cover. Erie to be bobbing about with an island of rock near, but barely a visual of it. Then, right as predicted, the moon starts to loom behind the clouds from the east. No direct light from it, but it is amazing as the waves start to take shape. Land becomes blacker than the ocean around it, all from the gentle glow from a rising moon behind cloud cover. With enough light to pick land from sea, we were able to increase speed and make our entrance safely. The charts and electronic charts are very helpful, but once you have a slight visual to compare them with, all is good!

After anchoring and getting a bite to eat, we finally poured our tired bodies into bed around 3am. Around dawn, I woke and felt the gentle roll of a calm anchorage. I climbed up and companion way and looked out on Tonga for the first time. Tropical birds were singing as the sun was breaking over the protective hills. Steep green hillsides climbed away from the anchorage, with the last lights across the channel disappearing as the dawn receded. With one last glance, I figured a little more sleep was warranted! Tonga can wait a few more hours.
Vessel Name: Nemesis
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 41
Hailing Port: K&J: Sydney, Australia - Nemesis: Chico, California
Crew: Jeff & Kirsty
About:
We now have the South Pacific trip behind us. What a glorious year and a half. We averaged 5.5 knots on our ~12,000 mile voyage. We made landfall into Australia at Bundaberg. [...]
Extra:
Kirsty and I got engaged in March and were married in November... Bought a house in Surry Hills AND prepping for the 2010 Sydney Hobart race! Trust me, never take on these three things in the same year! This year racing will be quite different, now we aren't living on the boat and can actually [...]
Nemesis's Photos - Main
Nemesis and her quest to contend the 2010 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race
1 Photo
Created 11 October 2010
Photos from French Polynesia
28 Photos
Created 25 May 2009
Galapagos
21 Photos
Created 31 March 2009
All the stuff we eat, make, cook or consume that is photogenic
No Photos
Created 28 March 2009
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
26 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
Sights of Plants, flowers, trees and such
7 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
The ones that DIDN'T get away :)
11 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
If you love Pina Coladas... or just perfect sunsets!
14 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
Nemesis Photos
10 Photos
Created 31 January 2009