Neverbored

Visitors from Ontario

06 July 2014 | Canso, Nova Scotia
We had friends from Midland, Ontario visit. Judy and Paul visited us while in Nova Scotia for three weeks. It was wonderful that they got to visit, if only for a short visit. They got to eat Berkley's fish and Chips in the shed and sit and lime awhile.
We all took a walk on the gully trail, which it just a few minutes walk from our home. This is a photo of us on the bridge.
Chapel Gully Trail info:The Chapel Gully Trail is a 5.0 km loop. From the parking area you will enter the trail traveling through a small stand of spruce trees. Here you can record your name in the trail registry. The trail does return via the same route so you may want to save that for at the end of your hike as to provide comments on the trail.

Soon after the registry you will encounter a fork in the trail. This marks the beginning of the loop so you can choose either direction and still cover the entire trail.

Choosing the fork to the right will take you over a board walk section through a stand of speckled alder trees and along side of a salt marsh (the end of Chapel Gully). The tread here is generally a 1 metre wide gravel/natural duff surface. Soon the tread narrows to a footpath of natural cover. The trail continues across a barren area covered by scotch pine trees. Here you will also find the shortcut loop and the
observation tower. Take the shortcut loop if you want a shorter hike (though you will miss most of the coastal walk).

The remainder of the loop takes you through areas of mixed forest containing mountain ash and spruce. You will skirt the coastline and pass the site of the old Pest House which was designated for those infected with Small Pocks during the epidemic in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Finally, you reach the bridge spanning Chapel Gully; a nice spot to see crabs and other sea life found in the waters here. From here it is a short walk back to the original trail fork and the trail registry.

The Chapel Gully Trail is a wilderness hike and does a nice job of preserving a natural experience. There are a number of bird and squirrel feeders along the way along with rest benches and viewing stations. Pit toilets can be found at the start of the trail near the fork in the trail. Fresh water can also be found here during the spring, summer and fall.
Comments
Vessel Name: Neverbored
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40
Hailing Port: Canso, Nova Scotia Canada
Crew: Chris & Sheila
About:
recently updated:Chris started sailing in his late teens, his first 'sailing vessel' an 11ft Sea Snark. Sheila learned to sail with Chris on a 31 ft Catalina, many years later. [...]
Neverbored's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 19 August 2016
12 Photos
Created 23 July 2013

Neverbored

Who: Chris & Sheila
Port: Canso, Nova Scotia Canada

Our Current Position