Neverland Journey

Adventures since 2011

Arrival in Croatia

We arrived in Cavtat, Croatia this morning around 0615. This is the southernmost port of entry in Croatia so now all we need to do is discover the entire coastline. This small port town is well known for the mega yachts that call here. They were coming and going all day. It was quite entertaining to watch all the yachts tie up in their Mediterranean style mooring. This style of tying up is not like our marinas in the US. As the skipper is backing up to the quay he lowers the anchor to secure the bow. The stern is tied to the quay and the only things between the boats are the balloon type fenders.

We learned a new definition for �"beach�" today. People are great at improvising so in this small town with a steep rocky coast they have done it with their beaches. The beaches in this town are basically like a sea wall surrounding the harbor. There is a wide sidewalk built on them. Local vendors set up beach chairs for rent and there are even the standard showers to rinse under at the end of your day. The water is about 1-1/2 to 2 feet below the deck so I guess it is more like a giant salt water pool then a beach. Anyway, everyone seems to be having a great time visiting and playing in the water.

The repair job I did on the inflatable dingy seems to be holding. We like anchoring and rowing to shore better than tying up to the quay.

Tomorrow we start our trek up the coast. We plan to stop at an anchorage about 25 miles from here.

Monica learned from ATT that the discounted data plan does not apply in Croatia. She has turned that feature off on her phone rather than take a chance at incurring the $20/mB fee. If anyone needs to get in touch with her send an email to the satellite phone address she gave everyone before leaving.

Comments