02 May 2021 | 20 57.4'N:73 40.7'W, Matthew Town, Great Inagua, Bahamas
22 April 2021 | 20 57.4'N:73 40.7'W, Matthew Town, Great Inagua, Bahamas
17 April 2021 | 20 57.4'N:73 40.7'W, Matthew Town, Great Inagua, Bahamas
16 April 2021 | 18 51.4'N:74 34.2'W, Windward Passage
14 April 2021 | 14 30'N:71 40'W, Caribbean Sea
22 December 2019 | 12 30.5'N:70 01.8'W, Oranjestad, Aruba
21 December 2019 | 12 25.5'N:68 43.1'W, north of Curacao
21 December 2019 | 12 47.8'N:67 36.2'W, at sea
20 December 2019 | 13 18.87'N:66 26.99'W, at sea
20 December 2019 | 13 36.2'N:65 20.6'W, at sea
19 December 2019 | 13 38.9'N:64 23.7'W, at sea
19 December 2019 | 14 01.9'N:63 01.2'W, at sea
18 December 2019 | 14 23.3'N:61 41.6'W, at sea
17 December 2019 | 14 30.2'N:61 05.3'W, Martinique
16 December 2019 | 14 26.5'N:60 53.1'W, St Anne, Martinique
12 December 2019 | 14 04.85'N:60 57.8'W, Rodney Bay, St Lucia
05 December 2019 | 14 10.9'N:56 24.4'W, 250 miles to go
29 November 2019 | 14 25.2'N:42 59.6'W, middle of ocean
28 November 2019 | 14 29.4'N:40.14.3 06.01'W, middle of ocean
25 November 2019 | 15 35.65'N:33 06.01'W, middle of ocean
A Gusty Experience
15 August 2017 | Agia Galini
Checked the weather report at 0640 and it said gusts were at 17.5 knots. This was more than the weather report had mentioned. We had a 60 mile sail ahead of us!
0730 weighed anchor and motored on calm seas and no wind.
0930 had our first gust experience. From sheer calm to major gusts. Winds were as high as 25knots before passing Ak Mavro Mouri. Then we hit calm again.
1100 We passed from calm to wind gusts several times. We could see the waves and the spray and foam across the waves from a distance. We had become used to the stop and start. At this time we were back to motoring.
1314 Just passed Ak Frangokastelli and the wind was a strong breeze and gusty.
14:43 The wind remained strong and gusty of what felt like much more than 25 knots laying the boat heeled over and taking water over the rails. We set the jib and jigger and finally let Jose (autopilot) take the helm. With the 'sweet spot' found we settled into the rough weather ride. We put on our harnesses and then eventually our foul weather jackets since we were taking a hit from many waves across the bow.
17:30 about four miles from our destination the engine raw water impellor went out. We knew even with only a 25 hp engive we couldn't get into a harbor without the engine.
Hove to for the first time in rough weather. We maintained a balanced 2-3knots so Mike could repair and replace the raw water impeller.
1900 Still fighting the wind. The oars from the dinghy went missing and the mizzen sail tore to shreds. Almost lost the flag but climb out to retrieve it before it took off.
Tacking and not getting us closer to the harbor, we decided to give the engine a try to get us over the waves and headed to the harbor. It worked. We hugged the shore line and then came straight up to the quay. With the help we tied up along the quay at Agia Galini. We will stay here until Friday when the weather report shows clear sailing at 9 knots not 25.