Neverland Journey

Adventures since 2011

Surfin'

The winds started building yesterday afternoon and by nightfall we were sailing directly downwind with the waves in the same direction. We had the main with one reef on one side of the boat and the full jib poled out on the other side (wing on wing). During the night, with an almost full moon, the wind continued to build and the boat was handling it beautifully. Neverland�'s hull speed (theoretical maximum speed) is 7.2 knots. With the following waves we were surfing as fast as 8.4 knots and very frequently faster than 7.2 knots. At point I spent about 45 minutes in the cockpit enjoying the beauty of sail by the light of the moon. Conditions like this are always awe inspiring to me. All good things must come to an end. Two hours after Monica came onto her midnight watch the winds died completely. We rearranged the sails and ended up motoring the next 12 hours to get to Agadir.

After tying up in Agadir, the first order of business was customs and immigration. Three guys came to our boat for the formality, came aboard and sat at our table. One spoke very good English and the other 2 didn�'t. They each came from different departments like police, immigration and customs. All of them needed the same information and had their own form. So we got the same question 3 times each. The important one was do we have any weapons or drones? Anyway, it was quite humorous and we now have Morocco stamps in our passports.

Comments