Neverland Journey

Adventures since 2011

Agadir to Arrecife

We topped up our fuel tanks at Agadir and pulled away from the fuel dock at 14:40 on Wednesday 23 Oct. As we headed out to sea again we were motoring due to the light winds. The wind built quickly so that by 16:55 we were hitting 6.7 knots under sail. Through the night we were sailing 6.5 to 7.5 knots with a double reefed main and half jib. The wind started subsiding by 05:00 on Thursday and by 13:50 we were down to 3.5 knots. I started the engine at 15:00 to charge the batteries and we continued to Arrecife, Lanzarote Canary under engine alone. The sunset Thursday evening was beautifully colored probably because of the desert dust in the air. Because we were so far ahead of schedule and the wind completely died, we slowed down so we could arrive after sunrise on Friday. We were tied up in the marina by 08:20 on Friday.

I took a few star sights with the sextant Thursday evening and the results were better than what I had done in the past. I still have difficulty finding the stars for the first sight of a series. After the first sighting it reappears in the sextant pretty regular.

So for this leg of 228NM we were 41h40m from fuel dock to tied up in slip for 5.47 knot average speed. The first 24 hours we covered 145NM.

Comments