M/V New World

Two Seniors @ Sea

We can see Alaska

Today July 14, we decided to slow down. We traveled only 35 miles to Big Bay Harbor on the BC mainland. We are so close to the boarder that tomorrow we plan on being in Foggy Bay, USA and Ketchikan the next day. Foggy Bay is a popular anchorage for cruisers heading north but couldn’t quite make Ketchikan in a single day. That’s us.
On passage we saw our first Orcas. It looked like a pod of three. Their huge dorsal fins break the surface and back down they go. There was a charter boat cruising along at 20+ knots near where the whales surfaced, and they came to a screeching halt. We stopped as well but the charter boat followed too closely IMHO. The cruising guides tell you to stay at a minimum of 100 yards. The whales were obviously bothered and disappeared.

So tomorrow we will be back in the USA, can you believe it? Unfortunately, I don’t have any cell coverage here in Big Bay so this will have to wait for uploading.

Running the watermaker now. The water is so cold the unit which is 8 gallons per hour by specification is only putting out 5 gallons per hour. This will probably be the case until we hit warmer waters of California and Mexico but that’s too far in the future to even think about. Although we are already thinking about hauling the boat for bottom painting and other maintenance related issues as they occur. And we are also thinking seriously about the offshore passages down the western coast, especially the Columbia River entrance. I wish I could post videos of the waves at the mouth of the Columbia River. They can be killers. So, we will continue reading, planning and my lady may continue worrying.

Comments