12 June 2006 | Sydney Australia
08 June 2006 | Hon Tre island Nha trang
07 June 2006 | Leaving Whale Island
06 June 2006 | North of Nha Trang
05 June 2006 | Whale Island, North of Nha Trang
04 June 2006 | North of Nha Trang Vietnam
03 June 2006 | North of Nha Trang Vietnam
02 June 2006 | Nha Trang
29 May 2006
22 May 2006
14 May 2006 | Sydney Aus

Whale Island

06 June 2006 | North of Nha Trang
Today we decided that we would head into the small fishing village up to the north of Whale Island, around a 15 min dinghy trip.

We are both unsure what to expect in the place, as we really do kinda feel "away from it all" if you know what I mean.
We figure rice milk and bread if we are lucky should be enough to tide us over comforatably.

We beached the dinghy next to the jetty on the western side of the bay, and are greeted by a bunch of local kids who only seem to know joy.
They giggle and screm hello as they come running over to see us. We take a few pics and these kids seem like there is just nothing in life that could worry them.

We walk up a dirty road which happens to take us into a military compound and are met with a Guard who, via hand signals, tells us to bugger off.

We walk into a tiny shop run by 3 old locals and walk out with 5 packs of noodles.. It was pretty funny trying to point and describe food via charades : )

We walk around the harbour and spy a shop that looks like it could be good and sure enough it is a fishing village equivalent of a supermarket.
We grab some milk, some soft drinks and the most fantastic Buttermilk Bread loaves in puffy plastic packs, but they are out of rice apparently.

Back to the boat and its time for another snorkel and swim off the boat, then decide to attack the walking track around the Island... tip for anyone who does this, do it first thing in the morning and not midday in 38 degree heat.

We hit the peak, take some vid and down some fluid and head back for a swim... the humidity must be 80% and we are sweating.

Seeing as this is our last night here and tomorrow we start the 2 day trip for home, we crack the bottle of Bollinger, the smoked Salmon and the Camembert cheese.. yummy.

Around 5 we head for shore, and some beers at the Bar.
Christian the Dive Master is there and suffering from a sore throat so is downing the rums.
We hook into beers and have a great chat about tennis rugby and football. Soon we are joined by the owner Michel and have a great pre dinner conversation before we head off for food.

Back to the boat and Di flogs me again in Uno.

We sleep up on deck again as it is so damn hot.
Comments
Vessel Name: Riang Ria
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Crew: Ben and Di Brand
About: My lovely Wife (well she will be by the time we start sailing) Di