Night Hawk

28 March 2012 | 26 29.88'N
20 January 2012
18 December 2011
30 November 2011 |
17 March 2011
08 March 2011
11 February 2011
29 January 2011
30 December 2010
23 December 2010
15 December 2010
21 November 2010 | 27 11.82N 80 15.74W
21 August 2010
21 April 2010
27 March 2010
21 March 2010
09 February 2010
22 December 2009
07 December 2009

The fun continues

08 March 2011
George Town Bahamas

We have been stuck in George Town for a few weeks now. We came here with Sapphire as their daughter and son in law were arriving here for a visit. We stayed about a week then had to leave and head north to do some hunting and fishing. Sam the Skull came with us and Sapphire had to stay behind to get the kids to the airport.
We had a great time in Ray Cay spearing lobster and many types of fish. We got some grouper, school master, grunts, trigger fish etc.
We explored the area for a while. There is the greatest blow hole and private little beach just around the corner – no pictures as the spray from the blow hole would not be good for the camera. We dinghied over to Barreterre to go to the garden that we always like so much, but this year there has been on rain and the garden was almost bare – just a few tomatoes, bananas etc. We walked around the town (probably population 30) and had a drink in the little bar that has been there since 1956.
We stayed here for about five days then headed back to George Town, as Sam the Skull’s kids were coming in.
There is a lot of activity in George Town right now as it is the 31st annual Cruisers Regatta. They have many activities if you wish to join in.
They had the dinghy parade, dinghy poker run, coconut harvest (where they dump almost 1000 coconuts into a little bay and the dinghies have to gather them, there are no motors on the dinghies and you use flippers to propel the boat) that was quite fun to watch.
We ran into Savage Son and had lunch with them yesterday (March 3) at St. Francis Resort.
There are many people here that we have not seen for a while, so it is nice to catch up with them. There are around 300 boats in the harbour for Regatta.
We had to get an extension on our visa as we only got 93 days in Morgan’s Bluff when we arrived. We managed to get another 90 days although we only need around 45. You just never know what they will do here in the Bahamas.
We have not seen Sapphire and Fine Lion for a while, but should meet up with them next week and start heading North. Our time is running down as we have to be in Florida for April 19th to get the boat ready for storage and then catch the cruise ship on April 26th, leaving Fort Lauderdale.
We had rain here the other night – that doesn’t sound like much of an event, except it never rains down here, and if it does its only a shower for a few minutes. This was a torrential downpour for a couple of hours – I had to actually put a sweater on.
We are going into the beach at Chat and Chill this afternoon just to hang around and see what is going on.
Glory Days had us over for dinner on Sunday then we all went to watch the softball game – cruisers vs Locals. The locals can play really good ball – the cruisers – not so much. It was a fun evening.
March 8th
We met up with Sapphire and Fine Lion yesterday. We went to Eddie’s Edgewater in the town of George Town and had a great meal of grouper then great entertainment by a local Rake and Scrape band. They play saws, barrels, drums, etc. – it was really fun.
Sapphire caught a Mahi Mahi on the way here and is sharing some of the wealth with us – can’t wait for our first Mahi this year.
We will be parting with Sam the Skull, but hope to meet up with them a little later – they still have their kids with them, so they have to stay here near the airport.
Hopefully something more exciting will happen for my next blog entry.
Comments
Vessel Name: Night Hawk
Vessel Make/Model: CS33
Hailing Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)
Crew: Barry and Susan Wilson
About:
We have both retired from our jobs in order to make this trip. We were both born and lived in Nova Scotia until our original trip to the Bahamas in 2007. This year (2009) will be our third year down south. [...]
Extra: Like our namesake, the Night Hawk, we migrate south every fall. We hope to be somewhat like our namesake - small and determined.

Living the Life

Who: Barry and Susan Wilson
Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)